Best all around fish food

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
So, in your experience what is the best all around fish food that DOESN'T spike PO4?

B

Not sure what you consider a "spike" but you might be looking for a unicorn. I think all good foods are going to effect phosphate and nutrients on some level. Also if something a small as food is throwing off phosphate levels significantly I would think there is another issue going on to begin with.

My favorite food to this day even long before I worked in the industry has been New Life Spectum. If we are talking about dry foods.

aXio;1076511 wrote: Not sure what you consider a "spike" but you might be looking for a unicorn. I think all good foods are going to effect phosphate and nutrients on some level. Also if something a small as food is throwing off phosphate levels significantly I would think there is another issue going on to begin with.

My favorite food to this day even long before I worked in the industry has been New Life Spectum. If we are talking about dry foods.
Agreed.

Im interested in this too. Along with how often you guys feed. I recognize that some fish, Anthias etc, require multiple feedings per day. But other than that, how often?
By the way Snow Man, I use Rods.

I feed once a day lrs reef frenzy sometime between 5 and 7 pm.A chunk a little bigger then a thumb nail. A sheet of Nori is added 2 to 3 times a week in the morning. I have about 20 fish. 3 largish 4 medium the rest small. Seems to do the trick pretty well. I have orange anthias and they seem to be doing well with this regimen.

skyking;1076572 wrote: Im interested in this too. Along with how often you guys feed. I recognize that some fish, Anthias etc, require multiple feedings per day. But other than that, how often?
By the way Snow Man, I use Rods.

I a small pinch of pellets once a day for 3 fish.

I also try to feed frozen once a week

reeferman;1076600 wrote: I feed LRS Reef Frenzy daily.copperband,clowns,leopards,fairies,tangs,lyretails and sunbursts all love it
I'll have to try that, Your list is almost identical to mine.

reeferman;1076600 wrote: I feed LRS Reef Frenzy daily.copperband,clowns,leopards,fairies,tangs,lyretails and sunbursts all love it
+1 all my fish love this food. The corals enjoy it also.

aXio;1076511 wrote: Not sure what you consider a "spike" but you might be looking for a unicorn. I think all good foods are going to effect phosphate and nutrients on some level. Also if something a small as food is throwing off phosphate levels significantly I would think there is another issue going on to begin with.

Maybe "spike" was the wrong word....
But it wouldn't surprise me if some foods were higher in PO4 than others ...

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

SnowManSnow;1076654 wrote: Maybe "spike" was the wrong word....
But it wouldn't surprise me if some foods were higher in PO4 than others ...

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

It would be interesting to see some tests. I wonder how one could go about accurately testing something like that. I don't think you could just drop food into clean water and test phosphates at different periods.

aXio;1076657 wrote: It would be interesting to see some tests. I wonder how one could go about accurately testing something like that. I don't think you could just drop food into clean water and test phosphates at different periods.

Why not? Seems like it would work to me.

Just don't make a video about it! (Luv ya TB)

JBDreefs;1076660 wrote: Why not? Seems like it would work to me.

Just don't make a video about it! (Luv ya TB)

Well...

What are we actually wanting to test? How much phosphates the food produces just sitting in a tank? Or how much phosphates the fish waste produces while feeding on a specific food? Is there even difference in phosphate levels produced from fish waste while eating various foods and how would one prove it? Because if there is left over food sitting at the bottom of some ones tank then the real issue is simple he/she is feeding too much. Also what about other variables in a real tank situations... like how do various chemicals and additives we add to our systems break down foods and waste even faster. How do you settle on a amount of time that is "appropriate to feed"... some people shut off their entire system for 15 mins and spot feed while food is suspended in the tank. Other just sprinkle some pellets and walk away.

Honestly I be would interested in seeing how much phosphates foods produce just sitting in water. I'm curious enough now to want to know. But I don't know how useful those results would be for us.

Phosphate testing in food has been done and reported. :)
a>

stacy22;1076773 wrote: Phosphate testing in food has been done and reported. :)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/chemistry">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/chemistry</a>[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately that experiment/test has left out the majority of the brands that are being used by consumers now a days. Most of those foods were popular 2-5 years ago, but not so much anymore.

Jakub

aXio;1076657 wrote: It would be interesting to see some tests. I wonder how one could go about accurately testing something like that. I don't think you could just drop food into clean water and test phosphates at different periods.

i think you'd need to decompose it some how... then measure.
at least there would be a baseline between foods.

that being said.. organisms consume things differently.. so it would be different in each tank.

but a food that decomposes into LESS PO4 will never have more PO4 than one with a higher %

Back