Best Blue 150w 20k MH bulb

holley123

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my 150w 20k bulb. What bulb gives the most color pop with the best growth? I'm supporting LPS at around 12in deep.

I also have read many good things about the phenix 14k but I am skeptical that it will not be blue enough for my desires. Anybody tried these bulbs?

I use 3 of the Phoenix 250 on my 125g, this is the 3rd year and I really like them, along with 8 39w t5. I run MH 5-6 hours and the t5's 9-10 hours.:)

Raz0945;964757 wrote: I use 3 of the Phoenix 250 on my 125g, this is the 3rd year and I really like them, along with 8 39w t5. I run MH 5-6 hours and the t5's 9-10 hours.:)

Are they as blue as a 20k?

Holley123;964752 wrote: I also have read many good things about the phenix 14k but I am skeptical that it will not be blue enough for my desires. Anybody tried these bulbs?

What desires are those?
Looking at blue water or desiring great growth and health from your corals? If it's the latter, then get the Phoenix 14k. Many google searches will tell you how tried and true the Phoenix 14ks are... It's a great bulb.

It's not blue at all. I have 4 t5s for that.

I don't think there are any Radiums in a 150 watt. I have ran Phoenix 14K. They are alwost the same color temperature as the other brands 20K. The only 20K I would say is bluer is XM. And Radiums are the BEST in a 20K. Phoenix 14K are the best all around bulb for a combination of growth and color.

Radium makes a 150 watt DE.

http://www.marinedepot.com/150_Watt_20000K_Metal_Halide_Bulb_Radium_Double_Ended_150_Watt_Double_Ended_Metal_Halide_Light_Bulbs-Radium-MB2812-FILTBUMHDEHW-vi.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/150_Watt_20000K_Metal_Halide_Bulb_Radium_Double_Ended_150_Watt_Double_Ended_Metal_Halide_Light_Bulbs-Radium-MB2812-FILTBUMHDEHW-vi.html</a>

Phoenix is a nice bulb, so is Radium in a 150 watt DE.

I use a phonix 14k, its a nice color light, but I would personally like it to be more blue. From my reading there are mixed reviews on the avaliable bulbs, but it dosent seem you can get much bluer than a phonix. slightly bluer perhaps, but not a whole lot. Ive actually been contemplating LEDs to be able to play with spectrum more, and thats a painful concession (MH throwback here)

I had a phoneix 14k and I had great coral growth and it was very blue. I can't imagine how blue the 20k is.

Back