Best form of phosphate removal

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
What is everyones preferred form of phosphate removal?

My tank is still fighting off small patches of hair algae, and I believe the problem is caused from raised phosphates and low level nitrates.

I'm currently using biopellets and gfo, but the biopellets are consuming nitrates a lot faster than the phosphate level, and the gfo doesn't seem to be picking up the slack either.

The gfo needs replaced, but I'm wondering if anyone would recommend a different phosphate removal source.

Thanks

ahhhh. sounds like a problem of my old 220. that gfo could never get po4 down to 0. close... like .05 or something but never 0.

id turn off the biopellets. you may have od'd on them. maybe half the pellets once you get a nitrate reading.

I've read an study about using the biopellets, results were nott convenient long time, like you'll have good results, but the rate they consume and the price they cost is ridiculous compare with another media or means to remove PhoS or NO3
I'll be using gfo for PhoS and a denitrifier to lower and control NO3, can't expect one thing to do the whole job or assume it will do magic with every pollutant

Russ-IV;1075578 wrote: ahhhh. sounds like a problem of my old 220. that gfo could never get po4 down to 0. close... like .05 or something but never 0.

id turn off the biopellets. you may have od'd on them. maybe half the pellets once you get a nitrate reading.

I agree, but if completely take down the biopellets, I will lose the bacteria that's already built up. May try reducing the amount of pellets and dosing no3

LSU_fishFan;1075581 wrote: I agree, but if completely take down the biopellets, I will lose the bacteria that's already built up. May try reducing the amount of pellets and dosing no3

care when dosing. if you employ pellets, im assuming you already accumulate no3.

you may get in to overcorrecting and throwing the whole balance of the system.

I've been using no3po4x for over a week and amazed with the results. While it does do a bigger blow to nitrates than phosphates the short term succuess has been great so far. I've steadily seen my nitrates drop dramatically and phosphates remain relatively consistent. It suggested that gfo be taken off line so that's what I've been doing. If phosphates start to increase then it will get put back on.

Luke, I don't know what your maintenance schedule is, but you may want to trying running less GFO, but changing it weekly. I don't know if it's factual, but I have read statements by other members claiming that the bacterial growth (especially when carbon dosing) coats the GFO and renders it "useless".

Again, I don't know how accurate this statement is, but it may be worth a try before you make a big change to your system.

JBDreefs;1075598 wrote: Luke, I don't know what your maintenance schedule is, but you may want to trying running less GFO, but changing it weekly. I don't know if it's factual, but I have read statements by other members claiming that the bacterial growth (especially when carbon dosing) coats the GFO and renders it "useless".

Again, I don't know how accurate this statement is, but it may be worth a try before you make a big change to your system.

I have stated that many times for sure...

Ralph ATL;1075669 wrote: I have stated that many times for sure...

Would make since seeing how after about 2 weeks in the tank, the gfo seems to slow significantly.

while i can see it logically as sound. i wonder if tumbling gfo would cancel it's coating.

also. ime ive seen gfo get used up in 48 hours to a week depending on the po4 levels.

just my .02.

Thanks for all the suggestions. After testing po4 via Hanna checker, the phosphate level is .03ppm.

Russ mentioned on another thread, that I was running the biopellets for only three fish in a 250. I think we jumped the gun and added the biopellets too early in the maturity of the system. Causing the already low levels of nitrate and phosphate to drop drastically, especially the no3 causing the algae outbreak.

Back