Best Lighting for $250

kariandy6698

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my lighting.  I have seventy-five gallon mixed reef tank.  What is the best lighting I can get for around $250?  Thanks.

Thats a loaded question.  :). T5s are relatively cheap.  But, you will be dealing with heat and bulb changes every 6 to 9 months on avg.   Then there a ton of different leds some great and some not so great.  More than likely with that footprint (If Im not mistaken its 48" wide) you will need two leds black boxes, or some manufacturers have 48".

With leds they have wifi, bluetooth, built in controller, dimmable or simply with switches that you can add a timer.  Some have two spectrums or up to seven.  Its crazy with all of the options we now have.

If it were me I would look for 2 used blackbox Leds with more than 2 color spectrums with a built in controller.    I hope I didnt confuse you more than necessary.  :)

Personally I’d stay away from junk black boxes, they are crap and your coral will grow like crap. T5 is a better option for even par and coverage, you can customize the color with different bulbs. Also I would recommend a t5/hqi combo light for really good growth and color, you still can’t beat metal halide for relocating the sun. I the you can search “adv 48 hqi” on eBay and find a decent light. Good luck.

I'd agree to go with the two black boxes for a 75g.

2 people are currently selling 6 bulb 48" T5 lights on these forums, each for less than $100. That would be what I would do. Other than that, as Bcavalli stated, Chinese Black Box LEDs run about $100 each. I lean toward T5. Just started cycling a brand new 120 myself and a 6 bulb T5 fixture is what I decided on.

I probably shouldnt have used the term black box.  I was just describing the typical size and color of the fixture.

I never said it wouldn’t grow, I said it’ll grow like crap, bad color, poor growth rate. There is a reason people get rid of those boxes. I’m not gonna be quiet while you guys suggest some one put junk on their tank. It’s my opinion and I’ve seen the result of black boxes on other tanks.

ive Seen good results from ocean revive t247 fixtures, they are on the cheap side of good led fixtures, but cost around 250 each. What lights were on the mixed reef before?

I have a T247 that seems to be working just fine for color and growth. I don't have a point of comparison, though, for a Radion's growth rate on my exact tank. I have seen plenty of nice tanks on cheaper black boxes. People do get rid of black boxes. People do keep them. I have bought two used Kessils. People get rid of Kessils. I have seen people selling Radions. People get rid of Radions.

But radions, kessil, and other big dollar lights were not what was being discussed, the OP wanted to know a GOOD option for around $250. Go with the t5.

Chinese black boxes. Roughly $125 each on amazon. Get the one with the timer. You can mod them to counteract the misconceptions. You will need to replace them by 2-3 years. For long term use and stability, save up for radions.

Most people have the best success with and LED  + T5 combo

I like reef breeder photon series or the SB reef lights. U can find some used ones if u r on a tight budget. Depend on what corals you are thinking of keeping and we can help better. Just use your common sense. U can always ask to come see some member tank with their choice of lightings and go from there

Back