Best Local Fish Buy

ouling

Market
Reaction score
I personally think price isn't the most important thing when it comes to buying fish, as long the pet is healthy and able to survive over 3 months.

So can anyone here share their experience on fish buying from the greater area Atlanta Reef scene?

I got a little clown at Blue Planet about 6 months ago. Pretty good price but the selection as far as sizes and color was great. The fish was in great health. Tiffany takes good care of her friends. I know she makes sure they are in good condition before selling. And she is pretty local in Mcdonough.

I have bought fish from every LFS imaginable. I haven't found one store to be better than another when it comes to fish. I have had some die after a few months and others do great from all the LFS. I think the main problem is when the fish come in you want to be there the first day to get the pick of the litter. It would probably be wiser to allow the fish to stay at the store and see if any disease or stress does them in. Unfortunately, if you go this route you never get the fish you want b/c their all gone. What to do, I don't know. I guess it is just a hit or miss. After losing a few pricey fish it becomes real hard to justify spending the money for these particular fish. I like to stick to the hardier fish which are cheaper and less likely to die.

I always ask the LFS to feed the fish before buying it. Watch to see if it eats well. Not sure if this is the response you had in mind though :)

i'll have to agree with the blue planet quoe above....everytime I have been to that store (three times) their fish look amazing.....tanks are always clean and they ahve a great selection.....

Assault;67009 wrote: If I see a fish I just have to have, that is not purchased under these conditions, I would quarantine that fish for 3 1/2 to 4 weeks. some LFSs, not gonna say any names, are notorius for selling sick fish. so be very careful.

I would QT a fish regardless and would <u>never</u> take the word of the LFS, no matter how seemingly reputable.

I've had very good luck, and bought a few VERY nice fish from this guy. http://www.marineaquatics.net/index.html">http://www.marineaquatics.net/index.html</a> He specializes in rare fish, but usually can either get something that you want, or may already have it. His prices are awesome on most fish. It's best to just call him. He's local, but his store is online. I've met up with him several times, so I didn't have to pay shipping. You can't go and shop around, but I've never had a fish with any problem whatsoever.

Hope this helps,
Brad

Back