best pvc glue?

Bgcoop8784;975816 wrote: I've never actually had bad pvc glue, I just use the Oatey medium or heavy duty glue. Did you clean the pipe or use pvc primer, also coat both pieces and twist while inserting the pipe to the fittings?

+1. It isn't the glue that makes the differance but how it is installed. Also, hold it in place for about 30 seconds to let it set up after inserting and twisting.

Bgcoop8784;975899 wrote: I just started using the primer in the past few years, I've done a lot of plumbing without it, but I figure it can't hurt. It softens up the pvc a little to allow the glue to react better. The main thing is to use glue on both pieces so that the pcv slides together easier, and also a little twist helps, then as Rich said hold it for a few seconds in place. Also don't take too long between putting the glue on and putting the pipes together, have all your parts laying right in front of you before putting any glue on. Just be warned, if you get the purple primer.....plan on having purple hands no matter how careful you are it will happen.

My problem was my glue was jelly like must have sat out and i dint know. I read the bottle and it said do not use if its like that. Gt new glue and no leaks atm running smooth knock on wood lol

If you are working out in the garage in this heat, be careful, that glue sets quick!

Butch;975951 wrote: If you are working out in the garage in this heat, be careful, that glue sets quick!

And the fumes. But I hear Butch likes that. :)

rdnelson99;975970 wrote: And the fumes. But I hear Butch likes that. :)

Rich, you talking to JB again? Don't believe a word he says! ;)

Butch;975978 wrote: Rich, you talking to JB again? Don't believe a word he says! ;)

I never do. :) except when he talks about his intimate moments with Mile. I believe all of that. Hehehehehe

PVC glue doesn't last too long after it is open, IME. I usually just buy a new small can with every major project. You'd be surprised how fast it goes when you are using 2 inch or 1.5 inch pipes and fittings.

I thought maybe storing the can upside down might help?

Bgcoop8784;976057 wrote: It does help, I store mine upside down. I also always keep a new small can just in case.

Will have to try that. I bought this one last week i think i may have left the cap off when i plumbed my 75. Just came home from work and still no leaks all is good :D

Back