Best Refugium dimensions?

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
I am in the design phase and I plan to incorporate a fuge. It will be my first.

The general rule of thumb I have heard is that bigger is better.

I understand the theory: need a lot of algae to make a dent in the nutrient export process.

I am wondering if a shallow design would lead to more efficiency as compared to a deeper fuge of an equivalent volume.

My thoughts are that more water surface area would lead to more real estate for the algae to get a direct light source, as opposed to filtered light. Therefore, I think a shallower fuge would be better.

The compromise, of course, is that the shallow version has a larger foot print.

Thoughts?

I think you got it figured out already, your fuge is as good as your light and that being said, the more algae the more light not dept.

Mine is 14x14x14 for a 150.

Bigger is always better ime but to each his own.

Keep in mind, if you can get your chaeto to tumble, you can create an effective "deep" fuge. Happiest my tank has ever been was when I ran a 2'x2'x18"D fuge on a 120g tank.

Seth The Wine Guy;1053899 wrote: Keep in mind, if you can get your chaeto to tumble, you can create an effective "deep" fuge. Happiest my tank has ever been was when I ran a 2'x2'x18"D fuge on a 120g tank.

What is the secret to getting the cheato to tumble? Power head? Maybe one that is directed opposite of the return line that turns on and off periodically?

I used a massive korellia on the bottom pointing up. Problem was, I had to clean it constantly because it would get clogged from debris. I'm actually trying to figure out a design that makes sense for my upcoming build. I want to do ~150g fuge and thinking I'll basically do a closed loop with returns shooting up from the bottom so there's no power heads to clean and maintain.

an option you might want to consider if going the chaeto export route is an algae turf scrubber. refugiums are great for pod storage and other fun life depending on the route you go.

just a suggestion

Russ-IV;1053971 wrote: an option you might want to consider if going the chaeto export route is an algae turf scrubber. refugiums are great for pod storage and other fun life depending on the route you go.

just a suggestion

It's something I am considering. A fuge seems easier to me.

JBDreefs;1054001 wrote: It's something I am considering. A fuge seems easier to me.
Water change seems easier to me:yes: i had a fuge of around 16x24x12 tall

I wonder if there are any studies or stats about sizing a scrubber vs a fuge. I will look today.

So I found algaescrubber.net which has a lot of information about algae scrubbers.

Based on some preliminary reading, it seems that a scrubber may work better for me, given space constraints. I will be playing with the idea of an ATS.

My only reservation is that it almost seems like the ATS works better when there is no other filtration (skimmer, carbon, etc.), and I have reservations on committing 100% to the ATS.

JBDreefs;1054643 wrote: So I found algaescrubber.net which has a lot of information about algae scrubbers.

Based on some preliminary reading, it seems that a scrubber may work better for me, given space constraints. I will be playing with the idea of an ATS.

My only reservation is that it almost seems like the ATS works better when there is no other filtration (skimmer, carbon, etc.), and I have reservations on committing 100% to the ATS.

itll work with a skimmer and carbon. i run carbon all the time. on my 265. albeit i am skimmerless on this system.

my 220 had skimmer, and carbon, ats grew just fine. if algae grows in your system, itll grow on the ats. i wont disuade you either way, just letting you know that the ats is more targeted for consuming existing nitrates and phosphates already present in the water column which a skimmer nor carbon can remove.

hth

I have traditionally had issues with high nitrates, and this is the reason I'm looking to add macros or an ATS. I'm getting ready to upgrade my little 20 gallon tank to a 30 gallon cube + sump. I may try the ATS on the cube before committing to it on the large build. After all, I have time between now and when I anticipate actually putting together the large tank.

Back