Best rock to use for rock wall?

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
I'm considering doing a rock wall on the back of my new 10 gallon project. Wondering what your thoughts are on rock walls, the difficulties of making them, and the best way to go about making the wall. I've never had a rock wall tank but I think they can look pretty freaking good.

I’d think about using some pieces of ‘shelf’ rock and stand it on edge. Then figure out a way to secure it to the back glass. The flat pieces of shelf rock would probably protrude the least, into the tank. Being a 10 gallon that would be a primary concern.

I have some new shelf rock I was considering using for that. I've also seen many folks use egg crate and some sort of adhesive to build the actual wall with several pieces of rock. I might skip the rock wall but I think it would be cool if I can rig it up right

I’d think about using some pieces of ‘shelf’ rock and stand it on edge. Then figure out a way to secure it to the back glass. The flat pieces of shelf rock would probably protrude the least, into the tank. Being a 10 gallon that would be a primary concern.
and.... look cool!!

I have some new shelf rock I was considering using for that. I've also seen many folks use egg crate and some sort of adhesive to build the actual wall with several pieces of rock. I might skip the rock wall but I think it would be cool if I can rig it up right
Silicone right it to the glass.

Silicone right it to the glass.
So here's a thread I found on Reef2Reef! Looks like a TON of work, but the end product is quite nice!

Use a piece of travertine rough tile ? It's a natural Stone , you can epoxy to it , and it's cheap ..oh and flat

I say go with the method in the R2R link you posted. I think you'll find it's not too much work once you get started, especially if you're good at diy'ing. It may take a day or a weekend... but you'll like the end result much better and have a sense of accomplishment with it and your tank.

Just my .02

D

I say go with the method in the R2R link you posted. I think you'll find it's not too much work once you get started, especially if you're good at diy'ing. It may take a day or a weekend... but you'll like the end result much better and have a sense of accomplishment with it and your tank.

Just my .02

D
Appreciate you chiming in. Also nice to meet another local reefer from the Newnan area

Appreciate you chiming in. Also nice to meet another local reefer from the Newnan area

Sure thing. There used to be a small group of us in the Newnan area, but things got a little crazy on here and we lost touch years ago. My tanks have been idling for years now, just recently got the bug to mess with them.

Are you dead set on starting with a 10gal? I know small is usually cheaper, and folks tend to think they're easier to maintain... but things can get crazy quickly in a smaller tank.

D

Sure thing. There used to be a small group of us in the Newnan area, but things got a little crazy on here and we lost touch years ago. My tanks have been idling for years now, just recently got the bug to mess with them.

Are you dead set on starting with a 10gal? I know small is usually cheaper, and folks tend to think they're easier to maintain... but things can get crazy quickly in a smaller tank.

D
Thanks for the kind words. It’s actually my 5th or so tank! Not new to the hobby, just working on something new here. I have a nice 10 gallon and I’m deciding what I want to do with it.

Thanks for the kind words. It’s actually my 5th or so tank! Not new to the hobby, just working on something new here. I have a nice 10 gallon and I’m deciding what I want to do with it.

Gotcha... sounds like you can definitely handle it.

I'll be looking for some pics of that diy back wall!

D

Back