Best Salt Mix

loco4fish5434

Market
Reaction score
Now that I'm going from a fowler system to a reef I have been looking for the best salt mix. I've talked with a few different people around the club and they were all different. There opinions were based of what they had in there systems and price of the mix. So I will tell you what I'm trying to base of. I have LPS, SPS, some softies and a lot of Zoas/Paly. But it seems like something is missing. So I'm looking for a salt suitable to meet the needs of all of these if possible.

Interrsted in everyones experiences and input?

Setup:

Salt mix- instant ocean
Lighting- aquatic life t5
Ph- 8.2
Ammonia-0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrates-0

I really like the Red Sea Coral Pro salt. I have used Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, Salinty andf the Red Sea. Red Sea is my favorite of the group.

I have a 45 gal with about 12 gal in the sump. I use IO and it seems to do fine. I do not have a ton of corals yet but do have softies, LPS and SPS. The LPS and SPS seem to grow like weeds. I have to dose every other week to keep magnisium up around 1350. My Calcium runs about 420 on average using an API test which I think reads a bit high. I figure as I add more corals I will either have to start dosing Cal or change salts. Overall, I like the IO for now and the price seems to be decent.

Now, keep in mind, I am still new so take everything above with a grain of salt (or a cup of saltwater as the case may be). :) Good luck.

Reef crystals is my salt of choice, easy to find, usually a good deal.

I still wish Salinity to be available in smaller sizes than that big pail. It would take me 5 years to use that much salt.....

This thread should have contained a poll, with entries for the top three to five brands.

Edit: Oh, but I'm currently using Reef Crystals

Edit: But in the past 6 months, have used OI, SeaChem Reef Salt and Salinity

Any of them . Pick any salt out there and you will find a successful reef tank that uses it. That in itself is enough proof IMO to blow all the hype of one salt "being better" (whatever that means) than the other out of the water.

grouper therapy;717654 wrote: Any of them . Pick any salt out there and you will find a successful reef tank that uses it. That in itself is enough proof IMO to blow all the hype of one salt "being better" (whatever that means) than the other out of the water.

+1 but I use Reef Crystals. Can usually find it on sale for a reasonable price.

Back