Best Salt?

I've been using Instant Ocean for economic reasons, (until recently it was the cheapest option and is probably used by more people than any other, and many public aquariums too) because I have a lot of water and I change a lot of water. I've had good results with no complaints. It has recently increased in price so IO Reef Crystal's are cheaper now, so I am slowly changing over, I expect satisfactory results with that too, we shall see.

I've been using Instant Ocean for economic reasons, (until recently it was the cheapest option and is probably used by more people than any other, and many public aquariums too) because I have a lot of water and I change a lot of water. I've had good results with no complaints. It has recently increased in price so IO Reef Crystal's are cheaper now, so I am slowly changing over, I expect satisfactory results with that too, we shall see.
Keep me posted!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Using Red Sea Blue Bucket here. Just switched to it recently from Red Sea Coral Pro. Similar composition, but lower alkalinity (~8dkh) when mixed to 1.025sg than the Coral Pro.

oh... the age old question. just like what's the best lights, etc.

Budget and Parameters...
As @Steve Burton said, IO Salt has been around forever and is tried and true. Several reefers still use this and I use it in my frag tank. Budget friendly, mixes clean (compared to IO Reef Crystals), and fairly consistent.
Parameters vary by salt - look at what matches closely to your goals and if it falls within your budget, go for it.

I use Live Aquaria salt in my display and IO in my Frag Tank.

I used Aquavitro Salinity at one point, but it was pricey so switched to IO Reef Crystals.
Then I got sick of the brown residue that Reef Crystals left behind & the high DKH, so switched to Live Aquaria Salt during their promo sale. Most likely move away from this salt due to price since I have yet to see any more amazing deals.
Started a frag tank and wanted to try regular Instant Ocean and so far I been very pleased with it. Price is right on these and if you catch it on a sale, you can snag up quite a bit and last for a while.

oh... the age old question. just like what's the best lights, etc.

Budget and Parameters...
As @Steve Burton said, IO Salt has been around forever and is tried and true. Several reefers still use this and I use it in my frag tank. Budget friendly, mixes clean (compared to IO Reef Crystals), and fairly consistent.
Parameters vary by salt - look at what matches closely to your goals and if it falls within your budget, go for it.

I use Live Aquaria salt in my display and IO in my Frag Tank.

I used Aquavitro Salinity at one point, but it was pricey so switched to IO Reef Crystals.
Then I got sick of the brown residue that Reef Crystals left behind & the high DKH, so switched to Live Aquaria Salt during their promo sale. Most likely move away from this salt due to price since I have yet to see any more amazing deals.
Started a frag tank and wanted to try regular Instant Ocean and so far I been very pleased with it. Price is right on these and if you catch it on a sale, you can snag up quite a bit and last for a while.
So no problem switching it up whenever necessary? Cool!

I'm always down for budget friendly, so I'll take a better look at the parameters that match closer to goals.

Thanks a bunch!!

I tried a batch of the HW marine salt and did not like it. Parameters were too low so I would have to dose every batch of salt water I made on top of dosing my tank everyday. I still also had to clean out my mixing container regularly. I went back to instant ocean reef crystals and don't know why I ever left. The parameters are perfect for me so I don't have to dose anything additional after water changes and it mixes clean enough. Also, I think on Amazon it only cost me about $33 for 160 gallons worth of salt

I switched from reef crystals to salinity and mixed up nicely but was pricey. Now using HW based on others experience in the club. I like how much cleaner it mixes. Reef crystals left brown residue all in the container it was mixed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I switched from reef crystals to salinity and mixed up nicely but was pricey. Now using HW based on others experience in the club. I like how much cleaner it mixes. Reef crystals left brown residue all in the container it was mixed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yeah, that's why I switched out of RC as well. Reg. Instant Ocean mixes clean and fast with no residue amazingly enough.

I tried a batch of the HW marine salt and did not like it. Parameters were too low so I would have to dose every batch of salt water I made on top of dosing my tank everyday. I still also had to clean out my mixing container regularly. I went back to instant ocean reef crystals and don't know why I ever left. The parameters are perfect for me so I don't have to dose anything additional after water changes and it mixes clean enough. Also, I think on Amazon it only cost me about $33 for 160 gallons worth of salt
Did you not have an issue with brown stuff from Reef crystals? It seems most have.

I've been using Fritz for the last few years. Works great and pretty budget-friendly. I will say I'm thinking about switching myself for something that has better trace elements for better color, especially in my red-colored coral.

There is no right answer as others have alluded to. Many great reef tanks from a large variety of the salts mentioned so far. Find one that works for you and stick with it. I'm using Tropic Marin Pro here from Red Sea Coral Pro. Yes, it's expensive, but I only use a little less than a bucket a month for my water volumes though. I would only use TMP if you are dosing already. I chose Tropic Marin Pro for it's fast mixing ability along me already dosing and I got sucked into it from the BRS residue / mixing video. The brown precipitate of some of these other salts can be removed with distilled vinegar, but it is an extra maintenance item for your mixing vessel every couple of months. For Red Sea salts, the residue can also be minimized if the salt is added to the water before it is heated.

speaking of instant ocean, i just picked up two buckets from petco. They're $39.99 each, but if you buy two buckets and do in-store pick up, you get an additional 20% off making it $31.99 each. Good deal and you get a bucket.
Hah, thanks, I've been using Amazon and their price increased was why I was switching to Reef Crystals. Just got 40% off (w/repeat delivery) up to $20 on two buckets of regular. IO @Petco, = $31.79/bucket delivered.

In my experience, Reef Crystals beats everything else I have tried. Yes, 2x a year I have to clean my mixing station well to get the brown stuff out. But it holds Alk up better than others, and you can find it everywhere. I think salt mix is the least important of the basic decisions we have to make in this hobby.

In my experience, Reef Crystals beats everything else I have tried. Yes, 2x a year I have to clean my mixing station well to get the brown stuff out. But it holds Alk up better than others, and you can find it everywhere. I think salt mix is the least important of the basic decisions we have to make in this hobby.
I agree completely. And 2x a year us less than inwould have imagined.

And speaking of decisions in this hobby. What's your favorite return pump for in the sump?

I’m an ESV fanboy. I use their salt (though it hasn’t been available due to COVID) as well as their trace elements. It’s expensive and takes effort to mix (4 separate parts to measure/mix), but it is the cleanest salt out there (cloudiness subsides and is ready to use sooner than any other salt). They are one of the few brands (or so I understand) who use pharmaceutical-grade components rather than evaporated ocean salts (I believe Tropic Marin does as well).

ive used several other brands in the past. The ESV by far mixes the cleanest and I have had the least amount of problems with “brown goo” of any of them. Plus, I know I am using supplements that are designed to 100% complement the salt and each other.

for what it’s worth : )

As for pumps, i use and am happy with the DC pumps from SR Aquaristik. They surely aren’t “the best”, but they perform well, are affordable for the quality, and the customer service can’t be beat.

for what it’s worth : )

Back