Best solution to hair algae problem?

caldwellm

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I once had a terrible hair algae problem, which occured conveniently before a move. So during the move i managed to scrub the rock, do a 100% water change, and change out the sand- which eliminated the problem :) until now... I can see it coming back, and would like to nip it in the butt now!

I have been told tangs are an excellent solution to the hair algae...
Any truth to this?

Thanks so much!
--Michael

A good option is a Sea Hare, One of the best hair algae destroyers I have yet to meet! CapBay usually has them or you can ask around if someone has one to pass on since they quickly run out of a food source.

tangs are hit or miss w/ hair algae. Flying Army said it best "sea hare"

Thanks so much!!!
Are these guys reef safe? I'd hate to find out he liked the taste of my hammers more than the algae ;) lol
How much do they usually run for? (I had never heard of these before! they'r crazy looking!)
Thanks again!

They are reef safe. Just go with a smaller one since they are like a bull in a china shop and can bowl corals over when they start munchin! Usually they are around $16-24 depending on size.

awesome!!! i may go check out capbay this afternoon then :)
Thanks for the help guys!

yep im gonna have to jump on one of those soon as well :) just gave my big one to my mom for her 90--- if you guys know any nicely priced ones, my ears are open :)

I have a CoralLife Super Skimmer (needlewheel) up for sale(non auction) for $75.

I will chime in and say turbo snail...I had an awful hair algae outbreak and i tried everything from scrubbing, big water changes, sea hare, lettuce nudi. I finally added 2 turbo snails and boom a few days later everything is gone. You could even see them destroying the algae very cool.

Leave the lights off for a few days after you scrub the rocks.Worked on my tank. Then just keep doing some good size water changes for the next few weeks.Ive yet to see it since. The Sea Hares do munch the stuff,but leave a trail of poop right behind them.

Turn off the lights for 3 days. Corals WILLL NOT DIE WITH 3-4 days no light.

I'm with Ouling! Thats how I got the bulk of my problem straightened out last year

Thanks so much for all your help guys! I think im probably going to have to go with a combination of all your suggestions :) Here's hopin!

See two things I have to add to this: 1) you need to find the source of the algae problem! Something is amiss and B) a Sea Hare is risky IMHO since they can nuke your tank. I would go with a sally light foot crab instead. When I set up my tank, it mowed down the entire forest in about two weeks. Foreast = 60% coverage about 3" long in my 55 gal. I recommended one or two to Scott and it has taken it about 2 months to mow down his jungle but it is doing it. Jungle = 90% coverage about 6" long in a 210 gal tank!

I think a combination of all suggestions is a good idea. Ill take it a bit further and say my idea will work :D and if you are in my neck of the woods ill lend you one of my prized turbos to clean your tank. I would be willing to put a bet for a frag that my turbo will clear up your problem lol

Outstanding! Do any of the club sponsors carry the sally lightfoot crabs? Or will i need or order one off of Marine Depot?
As for the turbo offer, i would LOVE to take you up on that! But i have a picasso who loves to bother my snails, and I would hate to risk anything happening to one of your prize turbos! ;) Thank you so much though!
Thank you again everyone!
This club never ceases to amaze me :)
--Michael

$16-24...I had no idea they sold for that much around here...bummer

Shutting the lights off is a cheap quick fix but you definatly need to find the problem. Are you using RO water, do you have enough algae eaters, how long do you run your lights, are your bulbs older and what are your water parameters?
Most places should also carry Sally's locally

Back