Best stuff to mount corals in tank

ace1204

Market
Reaction score
What is the best practice for mounting corals in tanks. i have a bunch of stuff mounted to disc that i wanna settup in the aquarium but aquamend doesnt seem that abrasive once you get it in the aquarium? what is everyone using?

I use aquamend. Take superglue gel (with cyanoacrylate) and a little ball of aquamend. Put a bit of glue on 2 opposite sides of the ball. Put the coral on one side of the glue, and the other side faces down on the rock. Push down the whole thing. The glue will bond to the aquamend and rock, the aquamend will fill in any crevices, and the other glue will bond to the coral.

I used this method to glue on that frag of candy cane in my tank and I swear I could pick up the 10lb rock it's glued to if I had to.

i just use straight superglue gel....put superglue gel on the coral and stick it straight to live rock etc....

jaydm93teg;277375 wrote: i just use straight superglue gel....put superglue gel on the coral and stick it straight to live rock etc....

Does that work if the rock is still under water? I use superglue to mount to rubble outside of tank, but sometimes I want to put something on a rock that is near the base of my rockwork.

au01st;277366 wrote: I use aquamend. Take superglue gel (with cyanoacrylate) and a little ball of aquamend. Put a bit of glue on 2 opposite sides of the ball. Put the coral on one side of the glue, and the other side faces down on the rock. Push down the whole thing. The glue will bond to the aquamend and rock, the aquamend will fill in any crevices, and the other glue will bond to the coral.

I used this method to glue on that frag of candy cane in my tank and I swear I could pick up the 10lb rock it's glued to if I had to.
+1. I just finished mounting several frags that way.

stickx911;277383 wrote: Does that work if the rock is still under water? I use superglue to mount to rubble outside of tank, but sometimes I want to put something on a rock that is near the base of my rockwork.

what i have done is have the frag itself out of water put super glue all over the base of the frag and quickly put it straight into the water and right to the spot where i want it and hold it there for a few sec. It works best if you aim the frag towards a hole or dent in the rock unluess it is just going to sit on top of a flat surface on the rock.

if that makes any sense at all, its really hard to explain

you can actually apply the superglue underwater if you want, its not water based so it will stay seperate like oil and stick to anything solid, what I have done in my tank is make a "bubble" of superglue on a rock, and then press the coral to it, this gives me better attachment and insures the superglue wont run down the side of the coral while im holding it because underwater it will bond with itself

the gel with the cyanoacrylate that au01st mention is the probably the only thing that works...every other gels that i have tried bonds temp. the crabs seems to "unmount" the frags everytime.
:doh:

What Au01st said. That is exactly what I do. The Dollar Store near me sells Super Glue Gel in 3 packs for $1. I usually load up every few weeks.

I've been using that method for many years as well. I think I read it originally on RC but I can't recall :sad:.

I was trying to find answers to this the other day. I came across some forum where they suggested LocTite Super Glue Gel. Said when it hits the water, the outer shell will harden a little, but you can place it and twist to break through and it works well. I haven't used it underwater yet, but I did use it to put a brand new frag back on it's plug. It was knocked loose by my lovely toddler, right before he put his hand in the cooler I was holding the peacock in. Yay! Anyhow, I dropped it right back in the water and it's holding well. Don't know if brand matters or not, seemed like the key was the gel. I've had zero luck with putty.

Back