Best t5 bulb

AquariumSchmo

Market
Reaction score
If you could only have one t5 bulb, which one would you choose?

I have a Mars Aqua led light hanging 12 inches above my 20 gallon tank. It is at 60% blue and 25% white. It is working fine on my mixed reef, but I would like to supplement it with one t5 bulb to help with shadowing in a few places and maybe get some better coral growth. I have a fixture coming on Friday and plan to start building a canopy this weekend.

Maybe an ATI Coral Plus bulb?

@dball711 and @anit77 thanks! I don't want too white. Blue+ was on my short list, but was concerned it might be too much blue, but I guess I can always turn the blue down and white up if needed on the LED.

It won't be too much blue. You might even end up turning the whites on the Led's down a little.
That bulb will give you the best growth though.

I also prefer blue+. I run 8 t5s on both my tanks and 6 are blue+. Then I have 1 aquablue special and 1 actinic. The true actinic is more of a purple and honestly it just looks dim. I'm not sure it adds much. The aquablue special is white. I'm considering switching to all blue+ on my next bulb reorder.

Thanks for the bulb suggestions. Pure Reef didn't have a 24w blue+, but they did a bin with miscellaneous discounted bubs, so I picked out a 460nm actinic for $5. I think that is about the same as a blue+. I also built the canopy this past weekend, put a couple of coats of paint on, and put the lights in today. Pictures attached, all blues; the whites haven't come on yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20181024_110641[1].jpg
    IMG_20181024_110641[1].jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20181024_111112[1].jpg
    IMG_20181024_111112[1].jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
Back