Best Tang to Eat Macro?

sj miller guy

Market
Reaction score
When I upgrade to my 90 I'm thinking of adding one more tang. I've already got a yellow eye Kole and he isn't really eating this boom of macro that I have going on. It originally came off a zoo rock I got from Capp bay and it's growing like crazy.

Would a blue hippo handle that pretty well? I was hoping to stay away from more of the aggressive types of tangs.

I know that macro growth is a good thing, but this stuff is out of control.

i know that my yellow tang eats cheteo and he is getting big for my tank so i could sell him to u. and he is a very nice fish. infact he is a sissy.

blind1993;62855 wrote: i know that my yellow tang eats cheteo and he is getting big for my tank so i could sell him to u. and he is a very nice fish. infact he is a sissy.

It's funny you say that, because I got rid of my yellow hawaiian because he killed two new additions I put into the tank. But honestly, mine was more hostile than most I've read about. It just kind of soured me on yellow tangs for some reason.

How much would you want for him btw?:fish:

is he i dont know how big of a tank will he need. i want him in a 500g but not many people have that large.

My Purple and Red Sea Sailfin tangs LOVE macro. What specific type of Macro algea is it?

Looks like some type of caulerpa but it's so super aggressive it's becoming a nuisance. My Kole does eat it just not enough to control it.

yep my yellow eats that stuff. if u want the fish i will sell it to u.

reef1973;62964 wrote: Naso tang is a big eater but gets really big as well. It will definitely do a number on your macro.

I was thinking about one of those too, but after seeing one almost full grown up at Star Aquatics in Augusta, I will definately not be buying one of those.

Both my yellow and purple were big seaweed eaters, but not sure about macro. My blue isn't quick as ravenous. I am guessing any of the more hyper zerbrasomas will do the trick.

As a side not, my flame angel loves the weed as well. Doesn't eat nearly as much as my yellow, but he certainly is a great fish to have and will at least put a dent in it.

Sailfin tangs will tear that stuff up. Even the most toxic of caluerpas are candy for them. Mine will even eat bubble algae!

The kole tangs are part of the bristletooth family of tangs aren't they? More aptly named hairtooth tangs, they are scrapers not chompers and are best suited for diatoms and other film algaes.

blind1993;63063 wrote: hey can u guys tell me sals username.

Sals username is horseziggy on ARC. He has a Georgia Aquarium Annex North with plenty of room for large fish!

My naso, blue, tomini (smaller tang), and yellow tang all graze on my rocks and go crazy when any pops up.

FutureInterest;63066 wrote: Sailfin tangs will tear that stuff up. Even the most toxic of caluerpas are candy for them. Mine will even eat bubble algae!

The kole tangs are part of the bristletooth family of tangs aren't they? More aptly named hairtooth tangs, they are scrapers not chompers and are best suited for diatoms and other film algaes.

You are exactly right on the bristletooth family.

I've been thinking of a yellow hawaiian, purple, or sailfin I'm just worried about putting another aggressive tang in the tank that will potentially kill other new comers.

blue hippos eat alage but not that much. and just curoius do blue hippos have that scapel thingy since i dont see it on them.

Back