Best time to dose?

geno

Market
Reaction score
When dosing part A & B -- is there a preferred time to do it, i.e. evening when the lights go out and the pH typically drops?

With two part... IMHO It is best to dose CA in the morning and Alk in the evening. That way the two do not interact and you get a PH boost overnight.

Dose whenever just put the two mixes in different sections of the tank. Brandon is technically right, but I never had a problem dosing as long as I waited a couple minutes for the solution to dilute in the tank and didn't dump one right on top of the other. Even better if you can drip it in over time which isn't hard to setup.

I dose the ALK & calcium in separate parts of the sump 4 X's a day on a cheap aquamedic doser. never had an issue. If I dosed once a day, it would be at night and just a few minutes apart. There is no need to separate more than that.

Thank you.

I have been dosing at night with no apparent problems -- just needed some reassurance.

Would love to have a GEO612 package -- but at $670 for the set up -- that's a bit much to pay because I'm a tad lazy!!!

I recommend picking up CA reactors used or on deep discounts during sales. They are essentially a simple product but need a quality design as bad things can happen if they aren't. The good news is that used units generally perform as well as new ones so there isn't a significant reason to buy new. If you are patient you can usually pick up a quality MRC unit for $300-ish.

Hey Cameron,

I can get my hands on a slightly used MRC CR-5 -- it's not dual chamber but does have a spray bar. Haven't gotten a price quote yet -- but it's bound to be better than paying retail.

Not sure if the CR-5 is a bit too much for my 125g (same as your tank, I think).

-gene

Back