Best time to test parameters

william1

Market
Reaction score
So this has always been up for discussion in the past. So lets see when everyone is testing there tanks parameters. I have heard different times depending on the time of day you will get different readings.

I always test mine after the lights have been on for about 5 hours and before I have added any foods to the water for corals or fish.

It doesn't have to be precise, but a relative time of the day (relative to the tank's cycle, not the actual day). Morning, noon, afternoon, night.

Nighttime isn't a good time to test, though, as pH almost always drops at night by as much as several tenths of a point, even if you reverse-light a refugium.

Usually in the evening after it's been up and about all day. I figure I'd rather see it at it's worst than the best. If the worst is ok, i'm happy. :up:

I test toward the end of the night maybe like 8-9pm before the lights go out.... !-2 times a week if possible...

Just before the lights go out, theoretically, should give you your max pH.

There's also something to be said for checking it just before the lights go on since that'll give you a low-point reference and give you an idea of the pH swing in your tank.

Good point...didn't think about that! Test both then you know the swing. I test for just about everything in the evening about 3X a week.

Back