best way to feed LPS

cdub

Market
Reaction score
i have an open brain, a favia, and acan lords that i feed. currently i use a turkey baster with mysis and then place the top of a 2 liter over them to keep the shrimp at bay.

recently i moved some of them up on my rocks and the 2 liter does not work as well. does anyone have any tricks/tips on how to do this better?

Hey Cory, sorry I haven't called you back--I've been so busy!!! (I was out of town this weekend)

Anyhow, if you want to feed your lps without a bottle, you can add some food "juice" to the tank to get their polyps extended, and then use a turkey baster with cyclopeeze, which they may be able to catch and hold onto a little better than the larger mysis. You can also try with mysis, but you may have to feed your shrimp till he's full first....

I stopped dedicated feedings to my LPS with this new tank, and it hasn't seemed to have made a difference. Every few days I add a storm of cyclopeeze after lights out when the feeders are already extended. Sometimes I also see swarms of mysis and other microfauna in full bloom, and I'm sure the LPS feed on those to some extent...

There are two methods that I have used with some success.

1. Feed the shrimp before the LPS. If they're full they won't mess with them. Give them a big chunk of something to work on to keep them busy.

2. I also have a "chasing" stick which is a bright green plastic tube. I periodically harass the hell out of them with the stick... Whenever that thing hits the water, the shrimp know its coming for them so they tend to hide a bit more. Eventually you can put the stick in the water and they'll dive for cover allowing you to feed your LPS in peace.

Back