Best way to fill a bubble?

Anthony king

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey everyone i recently got a red sea reefer that has an air bubble in the top right corner my question is what would be the best way to fill the bubble?

Air bubble in silicon between the glass panels in a joint? That is a defect and tank pop the seam- which from personal experience happens. Red Sea should replace the tank if it is under warranty as that is a covered issue.
If it is air bubble in glass- that is also probably a Red Sea warranty question. Depends on size and position whether it will effect the integrity of the tank. I have had personal experience with a Red Sea popping a seam- it is better to handle before you get it wet and full as they don’t cover livestock at all.

How old is the tank? I know they started adding seam guards to their tanks at some point. @civics14 had what looked like a failing seam but it was the seam "guard" and not the seam itself. You may have to reach out to Red Sea on this one because it really doesn't look like it's the guard.

Air bubble in silicon between the glass panels in a joint? That is a defect and tank pop the seam- which from personal experience happens. Red Sea should replace the tank if it is under warranty as that is a covered issue.
If it is air bubble in glass- that is also probably a Red Sea warranty question. Depends on size and position whether it will effect the integrity of the tank. I have had personal experience with a Red Sea popping a seam- it is better to handle before you get it wet and full as they don’t cover livestock at all.
I would definitely take what @sharis100 says to heart. She knows what she’s talking about.

small bubbles are going to happen . unfortunately i wouldn't classify that as a small bubble. I know its not what you want to hear, but I'd reconsider using that particular tank.

Is there not a way to repair?
With a Red Sea tank, a bubble like that will probably pop the seam sooner than later- sounds like a gun shot going off - and that right front corner is exactly where mine popped its seam :((((. If you know how to build a tank - you can take it all apart and redo and add extra supports and bracing. But that is tough to do and will ruin the look and might not be successful. What Red Sea does with these tanks is total them and send replacement when under warranty. You need to contact them- the serial number should be in the overflow area. Sometimes it is the stands that needed a extra middle support that causes them to have seal failure.

With a Red Sea tank, a bubble like that will probably pop the seam sooner than later- sounds like a gun shot going off - and that right front corner is exactly where mine popped its seam :((((. If you know how to build a tank - you can take it all apart and redo and add extra supports and bracing. But that is tough to do and will ruin the look and might not be successful. What Red Sea does with these tanks is total them and send replacement when under warranty. You need to contact them- the serial number should be in the overflow area. Sometimes it is the stands that needed a extra middle support that causes them to have seal failure.
Thanks i contacted red sea just waiting for a reply

Please let us know what kind of response you get. This is a known issue for them and most of what I hear has been positive. I mean, as positive as it can be given that the tank has to be replaced.

Please let us know what kind of response you get. This is a known issue for them and most of what I hear has been positive. I mean, as positive as it can be given that the tank has to be replaced.
Just heard back from red sea they said they dont have a remedy for fixing that they can guarantee so the only option would be a replacement tank. Thanks all

Do you mean they'll replace it for you or they are suggesting that you go ahead and buy a new one? Did you get this tank new or used? I'm just curious how well they're standing behind their stuff given the rash of issues they've been having with these.

I bought the tank used from another member. Red sea is suggesting purchasing a new system o_O not really their fault but for a known issue was hoping for some kind of way to remedy other than scrapping the current tank

Yikes. Well done. That is way more balls than I have....
Also curious about the type of silicone.

Back