Best way to fix a leaky rubbermaid tub?

gnashty

Market
Reaction score
I am getting ready to cure some rock and already have a tub in the garage to use...well, during my leak test yesterday there is a small leak (about 1 gpd) one one of the corners -its is small enough I cannot find the leak hole visiually when flipped upside down.

I tried some super glue gel but it didnt work although i didnt really let it dry either.

what are some other options? Id rather not buy another tub as the size of the one I have is perfect and Im kind of done throwing money at this part of the project for something im only going to use for 4-6 weeks max...thoughts?

Honestly, I have some 3m aluminum speed tape that we use on our jets. It will totally work! But your gonna have to fin the hole, then clean with alcohol and tape both sides! Good to go!

stoney1118;575376 wrote: Honestly, I have some 3m aluminum speed tape that we use on our jets. It will totally work! But your gonna have to fin the hole, then clean with alcohol and tape both sides! Good to go!

Considerng Im not planning on taking the tub to 36,000 ft at 500 mph+ could I just use some good ole duct tape? I have some of that!!

Suggestion .... Duck tape outside crack or hole. Silicone inside.... dry then duck tape inside

porpoiseaquatics;575387 wrote: I used the standard underwater epoxy that we use to mount frags on mine....worked perfectly!

the stuff you knead or the stuff you squirt?

The stuff you kneed.....like mighty mend it!!!!.....then you can fix that old coffee mug too!!!

rolo65;575403 wrote: The stuff you kneed.....like mighty mend it!!!!.....then you can fix that old coffee mug too!!!

I miss billy....:sad:

gnashty;575377 wrote: Considerng Im not planning on taking the tub to 36,000 ft at 500 mph+ could I just use some good ole duct tape? I have some of that!!

Lol no doubt, I dunno how great the duck tape will work under water though. Go to home depot and grab a roll of aluminum hvac tape. Prep both sides of the tote, then squeegee the tape down really good. Will work no doubt.

Yeah the oxi-clean commercials just aren't the same with the other guy....

stoney1118;575409 wrote: Lol no doubt, I dunno how great the duck tape will work under water though. Go to home depot and grab a roll of aluminum hvac tape. Prep both sides of the tote, then squeegee the tape down really good. Will work no doubt.

sounds like a plan - now to find the leak!!

rolo65;575410 wrote: Yeah the oxi-clean commercials just aren't the same with the other guy....

Sully is ok, he's no billy though....

You could by my used 150 that doesn't leak for $50. :)

These are fiberglass in construction and I have never found a way that works if they start leaking.

Thanks,
Tim

<div class="gc_ifarem_title">YouTube - Billy Mays Mighty Putty Super Pack</div>

tim8111;575416 wrote: You could by my used 150 that doesn't leak for $50. :)

These are fiberglass in construction and I have never found a way that works if they start leaking.

Thanks,
Tim

Gary,
I was about to post that I wouldn't trust one after it started leaking. Kind of thing that could start again any time. Too much to lose with a flood to risk, IMO. I would buy Tim's.

If there was a way to plastic weld it, maybe. But I'd be worried about it all the time with just an epoxy fix. Epoxy short term OK, but not there for permanent use. JMO.

Acroholic;575444 wrote: Gary,
I was about to post that I wouldn't trust one after it started leaking. Kind of thing that could start again any time. Too much to lose with a flood to risk, IMO. I would buy Tim's.

If there was a way to plastic weld it, maybe. But I'd be worried about it all the time with just an epoxy fix. Epoxy short term OK, but not there for permanent use. JMO.

I'm with ya, but it's only going to be in use for a few weeks. It's going to be in garage so worst case is 40 gal in the driveway since the garage floor is sloped. I have a brute to use as well but I would have to alter my skimmer plans.

Found the hole! I used some epoxy got it fixed, or at least slowed the leak signifigantly :doh: we will see

Thanks all

Back