best way to kill aiptasia if willing to pull rock out of tank

rb647

Market
Reaction score
I have always taken a passive approach and just killed aiptasia while they were on rocks in the tank, using aiptasia-x and similar things. I decided to be a little more aggressive this time. What is the best way to kill aiptasia if I can pull the rocks out of the tank? is this when boiling water is the best approach?

Boiling water is the worst idea. Bleach/acid bath is the way to go if you're going all out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guessing u don't have corals an any out stuff u don't mind killing, cause anything outside kalk, x, peppermint shrimp, file fish, your just going to kill everything that's on and in the rock.

I am not going "all out," I do have corals on the rocks. I know that boiling water in a syringe is one common way to kill aiptasia. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

If your just looking for another way to eradicate some I have an in tank method of 50/50 lemon juice and peroxide with an insulin syringe ( mixed fresh or the h20 in juice bonds to the h202 peroxide it goes flat)
The acidic lemon juice melts them from the inside out wile the extra oxygen molecules from peroxide bond to the flesh shutting down its ability to flush water in and out .
Its a proven method but hard on smaller pest nems because you have to stick em with a syringe and there hard to hit.
Also I've Only ever done a few ml worth so im un aware of whAt effect it may have on ph or alkalinity but there was none at a small lvl

I know it has worked for everyone but I'll never get rid of my file fish, he is an aiptasia ratting king!
By himself he keeps a 265gal tank aiptasia free.
2 more options are the laser and the manjano wand.

Reef napalm. Do a search here. It basically uses lye (get the right kind) with RO. Kills anything on contact but becomes inert within seconds so won't bother anything else in the tank.

rdnelson99;1036230 wrote: Reef napalm. Do a search here. It basically uses lye (get the right kind) with RO. Kills anything on contact but becomes inert within seconds so won't bother anything else in the tank.

This. I've never used it on aptasia, but use it to control corals from getting out of control.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36190">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36190</a>

And boiling water would be ok in a syringe. I was under the impression you were planning on boiling the rocks

Where about in Atlanta are you? If you are close, I can give you some lye, and a syringe if you want to try it out. I have plenty of both.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1036218 wrote: I know it has worked for everyone but I'll never get rid of my file fish, he is an aiptasia ratting king!
By himself he keeps a 265gal tank aiptasia free.
2 more options are the laser and the manjano wand.

+1,I'm not kidding when I say this,I welcome aiptasia to my tank.My matted file fish is aiptasia worst nightmare .

My first matted file fish was defective. But I got a baby and he is wondeful!! I think he is teaching the "old dog" a new trick. :)

Kalk paste has always worked for me. A lot cheaper than aiptasia x also.

Mimi's Fish;1036254 wrote: My first matted file fish was defective. But I got a baby and he is wondeful!! I think he is teaching the "old dog" a new trick. :)

Ooh Mimi, see you got some success with the new file, nice.

New tank has Aiptasia and I love Filefish. Reading up on it, Filefish can nip at other stuff too. My tank is just cycling now. Debating on whether to nuke the Aiptasia with lye or let it cycle, get the Filefish and worry about what to feed it after it's hopefully eaten the Aiptasia.

Catgirl29;1036264 wrote: New tank has Aiptasia and I love Filefish. Reading up on it, Filefish can nip at other stuff too. My tank is just cycling now. Debating on whether to nuke the Aiptasia with lye or let it cycle, get the Filefish and worry about what to feed it after it's hopefully eaten the Aiptasia.

I would do it now and not take chances on the file fish. Not all will do the job and once you are cycled your options are limited.

If it's easy to get to, I just like to use a cigarette lighter or a soldering iron (for the personal satisfaction ;)

lots of good ideas, thanks guys. lye sounds like a good idea but I only had a few so I just went with the boiling water. I have a 60ml syringe with a large hollow unsharp metal tip. perfect tool. I stuck the tip inside the aiptasia and cooked 'em real good (30 mls each over about 15 seconds), with the rock oriented so that hot water would fall away from the corals.

after i cooked them my peppermint shrimp came and feasted on the cooked aiptasia remains. I think these two were too large for them to eat without cooking first.

Back