best way to move a tank

mapleredta

Market
Reaction score
im about to move my 55 gallon tank to my girlfriends house from my house and im just wondering what would be the best way to flow through the move without ANY loses. its only about 6 miles but with that much water it could feel like forever.:D

That move doesn't sound too bad. I would:
-fill a cooler with tank water, and put a few pieces of LR and all the fish in
-put the rest of the LR into other bucket or containers, then fill with water.
-put any corals on top of the LR, or in seperate containers if you have lots
-drain the tank down to the sand bed, keeping enough water to keep the sand bed wet.
-grab a good friend to help you move everything

Be sure to have enough water already made up to replace what you've drained.

Do you have anything very sensitive?

wbholwell;85889 wrote: That move doesn't sound too bad. I would:
-fill a cooler with tank water, and put a few pieces of LR and all the fish in
-put the rest of the LR into other bucket or containers, then fill with water.
-put any corals on top of the LR, or in seperate containers if you have lots
-drain the tank down to the sand bed, keeping enough water to keep the sand bed wet.
-grab a good friend to help you move everything

Be sure to have enough water already made up to replace what you've drained.

Do you have anything very sensitive?

Great advice - this is exactly how I would do it. I've only moved my nano tank so far, but pretty much did this. Good luck!

Yeah, I moved my 29 gal just about every year, sometimes twice per year, during college. What a PITA

the main thing that im worried about it my bta. i have a pair of clowns and gsps and my clean up crew.

mapleredta;85902 wrote: the main thing that im worried about it my bta. i have a pair of clowns and gsps and my clean up crew.

If you're worried about damaging it in a cooler or bucket, you could bag it like would be done at a fish store and float the bag? At least you'd have some peace of mind.

I'm no expert, but I would think it will be fine.

mapleredta;85922 wrote: is there any special tips on how to get the foot loose from the rock?

I wouldn't try. It's very likely that you'll damage the anemone. Is there a reason why you don't want to move the anemone and rock together?

yes leave it attatched to the rock if possible, and put the clowns in the same cooler as the BTA. If you must move it off the rocks, then try an ice cube on its foot, thats the best way IMO.

Be careful with rock and fish in the same cooler. Driving conditions can cause the rock to move in the cooler that can easily crush your favorite fish. I would move the fish seperately in a 5 gallon bucket and depending on the time in the bucket use a battery powered air pump to keep the water oxygenated. The only fish I have ever lost during a move was due to lack of oxygen in the water/stress. Good luck and let me know if you need to borrow a battery powered air pump.

i figured it would be the safest way to move the bta would to detach it off the rock. ill probably just get a styrofoam box and put the rock and bta in it.

Always get an air pump for fish. If you drop the tank, they'll live in a tub with live rock and air pump for a suprisingly long time. $15 will save you a ton of risk.

If you have biological filter media, it will start growing anerobic bacteria and losing aerobic bacteria after two hours in stagnent water. Be sure to keep you filter media wet too, so it doesn't just die off. Watch you NH3 and NO2 closely for a week after the move.

My trick for removing a BTA, lift the rock out of the water with the anemone upside down just enough to expose his foot. Shake it a little back in forth. That's usually enough to cause it to drop without tearing the foot.

I wonder if you could rig some kind of *hammock* in a coolor to keep the RBTA from getting damaged if the rock rolled during transport? Maybe tie some cord to the 4 corners of a good sized square of netting and run the cords out of the cooler and tie them underneath. The anemone would ride in suspended comfort.

david-what size is the tank?

when I moved my 30g to another room, I just drained down the water to a certain level where the fish could be okay.

I let the rock and corals stay exposed to the air for the move. Then, my roomate and I just picked it up and moved it over. This won't work if your tank is huge though.

mapleredta-get an air pump-it'll save your cohones! I'd put the rock seperate from the corals. get a hold of as many buckets as you can and save as much water as you can. Altough this is going to provide you with an excellent oppotunity to do a water change or three! Drive carefully!

Chris, moving your tank into the GF's house is a pretty big commitment, but will help explain away the reasons you cant afford a big rock when the time comes........

Once the tank hits the threshold of the GF's house, I think you can consider yourself hitched.... Congratulations man!

lol thanks dakota. we've been together for over 4 years. im over there more than i am at my house, and here lately i havent been able to give my tank all of my attention so we decided that i should bring it over to her house. thanks for the help everybody. ill keep you posted.

EDIT: ill just give her a rock out of the tank :D

Skriz, It's a 55 gallon tank... so I could bring the water down, get a couple big guys to move it over, refill the water and treat it as if it were a major league water change?

careful movign glass tanks with contents, you must fully support the frame or you risk cracking

I always use tank moves as an excuse to upgrade, it's much much easier, then it's just a livestock move

y'know.... a 7 foot tank WOULD look much better and provide more storage space for salon stuff!!!

heheheh

Back