Best Way to trim/prune back Palys on base rock

oldedb

Market
Reaction score
I have some Pandora and Midas (maybe?) that are absolutely taking over a large pic of base rock. Pulling the rock from the tank would be extremely difficult. What is the best way to selectively remove polyps?

Is there something I can apply directly w/ a syringe? I was thinking aptasiaX since I have some laying around but I thought I would ask first. I can't be the first to have this issue.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldedb;1041597 wrote: I have some Pandora and Midas (maybe?) that are absolutely taking over a large pic of base rock. Pulling the rock from the tank would be extremely difficult. What is the best way to selectively remove polyps?

Is there something I can apply directly w/ a syringe? I was thinking aptasiaX since I have some laying around but I thought I would ask first. I can't be the first to have this issue.

Thanks!

think someone used lye for an ingenious method of removing aptaisia. i think it would work for palys but maybe someone else can chime in.

Look up reef napalm and use it. Sounds crazy but works great. I use it all the time. Be careful and follow instructions or you can damage good stuff

It will work on anything. Here's the thread
showthread.php

Ringo®;1041601 wrote: It will work on anything. Here's the thread http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36190&highlight=napalm">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36190&highlight=napalm</a>[/QUOTE]

i wonder how effective they are against xenias

I'd used a razor blade (with power heads off) and cut out & frag as much as possible. Then use the Napaim to get the leftover when it starts to grow back.
It saves a lot of gunk from going into your system...

Thx for the ideas... Will prob try to blade some off and then clean up with the napalm.

Camellia;1041618 wrote: I'd used a razor blade (with power heads off) and cut out & frag as much as possible. Then use the Napaim to get the leftover when it starts to grow back.
It saves a lot of gunk from going into your system...

Will this not release chemicals from the coral?

I always do a water change after in tank fragging to ensure that I get the toxins out of the tank.

Remove rock, scrub rock in bucket, place it outside, wait 3-5 days, scrub rock put back in tank.

Thats the only way I was able to completely remove pally's from a rock. Picking, kalking, napalming, epoxying over them, super gluing over them. They kept coming back.

EnderG60;1041640 wrote: Remove rock, scrub rock in bucket, place it outside, wait 3-5 days, scrub rock put back in tank.

Thats the only way I was able to completely remove pally's from a rock. Picking, kalking, napalming, epoxying over them, super gluing over them. They kept coming back.

Kill-it-with-Fire-03.jpg
alt="" />

I was actually considering using a blow torch on them before I remembered the story of a guy to tried to boil them and ended up in the hospital from inhaling the fumes.

EnderG60;1041640 wrote: Remove rock, scrub rock in bucket, place it outside, wait 3-5 days, scrub rock put back in tank.

The OP stated in post removing rock was not an option.

With PH off if toxins are released you can suck them out with a turkey baster but a WC is always a good idea if it's needed.

+1 carbon always good too

People tend to go to extremes to avoid removing a rock from the tank when inevitably thats the way to truly be rid of things like paly's.

And in most cases the PITA that is redoing rockwork will take less time and cost less money than any other method.

But like everything else no one believes you until they have exhausted all other options.

Back