Big group buy on PAR meters

kwl1763

Market
Reaction score
In case you haven't seen the reefcast guys have worked a great nationwide group buy on PAR meters. You can now get them for $150.

a>

Which is the units for PAR

From Licor's site:

The radiation in this range, referred to as Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR), can be measured in energy units (watts m-2) or as Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density (PPFD), which has units of quanta (photons) per unit time per unit surface area. The units most commonly used are micromoles of quanta per second per square meter (mmol s-1 m-2)

ok that that reads PAR, and I just multiply by 18.78 to get PPFD right?

PAR is what you are measuring PPFD is the unit of measurement.

Think of it like this. What are you measuring with a scale? Weight. That is equivelent to PAR. Your measurement is in pounds or kilograms, etc.

PPFD is like pounds. It's a unit of measurment.

So speed is what we are measuring with a speedometer and miles per hour is the unit of measurement.

Hopefully that helps

That looks like a great deal.

However, if you go to Reefcast site and review the group purchase instructions, they recommend you order the QMSS-ELEC, which is the remote sensor unit with electronic calibration.

Please review this article, and see why the preferable unit may be the
QMSS-SUN (remote sensor sulight calibration). Li-Cor probably makes the de facto best quantum meter (extremely expensive), and the Dana Riddle article comparing the Li-Cor unit to the Apogee Units found the QMSS-SUN to have the closest readings to the Li-Cor over the QMSS-ELEC at all Kelvin levels except 4000, which no Reefer uses anyways. Please refer to Tables 1 and 2 of the article for the comparison.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/7/review/view">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/7/review/view</a>

The Club's PAR Meters are QMSS-SUN. At least the Club unit I used was.

Either unit will work, but the correction factor vs the Li-Cor for the QMSS-ELEC is a good bit more than the QMSS-SUN at all usable Kelvin temps, and so low at 10K (.39%) as to not even be needed.

Most Reef Central threads about these Quantum Meters advise to buy the QMSS-SUN as well.

Dave

That looks like a great deal.

However, if you go to Reefcast site and review the group purchase instructions, they recommend you order the QMSS-ELEC, which is the remote sensor unit with electronic calibration.

Please review this article, and see why the preferable unit may be the
QMSS-SUN (remote sensor sunlight calibration). Li-Cor probably makes the de facto best quantum meter (extremely expensive), and the Dana Riddle article comparing the Li-Cor unit to the Apogee Units found the QMSS-SUN to have the closest readings to the Li-Cor over the QMSS-ELEC at all Kelvin levels except 4000, which no Reefer uses anyways. Please refer to Tables 1 and 2 of the article for the comparison.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/7/review/view">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/7/review/view</a>

The Club's PAR Meters are QMSS-SUN. At least the Club Unit I used was.

Either unit will work, but the correction factor vs the Li-Cor for the QMSS-ELEC is a good bit more than the QMSS-SUN at all usable Kelvin temps, and so low at 10K (.39%) as to not even be needed.

Most Reef Central threads about these Quantum Meters advise to buy the QMSS-SUN as well.

Dave

actually PAR has a unit of W/m^2 and was used a few years ago until PPFD became a more popular(and better) unit of measure. Sanjay's site used to have readings in PAR.

Just wanted to make sure what units the meter was outputing.

guess ill be getting the sun calibrated one as well.

Just ordered a sun calibrated model. What a great deal! Thanks! Shouldn't be a problem ever to sell it for what you paid if you want one of the new ones that come out in a couple months.
Dave

Steve;233594 wrote: Is the deal for all the models as well?

I think so. It definitily applies to the QMSS-ELEC and QMSS-SUN. These are the only two models that have probes that can be placed in the aquarium. They have remote, waterproof probes, whereas the less expensive units have the probe in the plastic case of the meter, and they are not not waterproof.
Dave

im about to throw down for one too...

<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica"><span style="font-size: 1-1px">QMSS-SUN </span></span><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica"><span style="font-size: 1-1px">Quantum Meter with Separate Sensor - Sunlight Calibration </span></span>

The woman at Apogee stated that as of about noon they have had about 130 orders placed in this group buy since last night!

I called Apogee just to confirm this deal was real. You never know about phishing schemes.
Dave

yeap real deal i called them also and confirmed. im surprised they havent run out yet...steal of a deal..

FYI I just got an email from the guy doing the group buy, and the sale is on any model for sale on the site, and you can get as many as you want, its all 40% off.

slayer77;233628 wrote: yeap real deal i called them also and confirmed. im surprised they havent run out yet...steal of a deal..

They are doing this to deplete their old inventory before they bring out the new ones (per Apogee). Said they even had to order more parts in for all the orders. The photosensor is the same, so the accuracy should be equal. Good time to buy, because it looks like the remote probe equivalent in the new model is gonna be $349, $100 more than the old one.
Dave

Back