Bigger is better for a first right??? 280 gallon

gdc6.7

Reaction score
So I have decided to get into reef tanks, have had freshwater tanks in the past,like way in the past. I picked up a 280 gallon tank this past weekend along with external pump stand and canopy and large sump tank. I was able to get the tank unloaded from trailer and put on my back patio I filled with water and white Vinegar and im letting it soak!! will scrub it down and get it clean. this tank is very heavy and hard to get a grip on, reminds me of large gun safes I have seen people use heavy duty suction cups to help with moving these big safes and figured it could also be done with the tank. Any ideas where i can pick a few of the suction cups up from. prefer to rent some rather than buy them as Im sure i wold only use this one time and by the time i move i wont be able to find the damn things.

Thanks for the help..
Located in Walton county --- Loganville, Ga

Congratulations on your new tank, bigger is better for stability but it's a little more maintenance! As Steve stated I believe the club has some, or you can contact sunbelt at lowe's and rent them. Good luck on your build, I look forward to seeing your progress.

Welcome to ARC!

Go big or go home! No offense to the nano people... lol ;)

Yes the club has cups that can be used for supporting members. Here the info on becoming a supporter and on the cups.

I look forward to seeing your build progress. Ask any and all questions you may have. We've got a friendly and knowledgeable group here.

@Adam guess I’ll be going home....

Bigger is more forgiving on the mistakes we make and there will be mistakes. I just went from medium (125g DT) to a nano... I’ll let you know how it goes haha.

@Adam guess I’ll be going home....

Bigger is more forgiving on the mistakes we make and there will be mistakes. I just went from medium (125g DT) to a nano... I’ll let you know how it goes haha.
You'll be back with a medium to large tank one day. With two little ones I don't think I'd have a tank at all. I know I'd be balder, that's for sure!

You'll be back with a medium to large tank one day. With two little ones I don't think I'd have a tank at all. I know I'd be balder, that's for sure!

I love the hobby too much to leave it completely. I’ll at least give nanos a try, could be a huge mistake. Plus... I am trying to the little ones interested and then we can all beg the boss for a BIG tank.

I would say bigger is better if you know what you’re doing. While it is more forgiving in parameter changes, it can work to your disadvantage. Overtime nutrient build up can be costly to correct if you’re not diligent with your maintenance. Also, more equipment is required to achieve the same goals in smaller tanks (lights, pumps, etc). It can be overwhelming at times when it starts adding up.

However, if you do know what you’re doing, strong determination to achieve your reefing goals, and have the funds... HAVE AT IT!! We’d all love to see the build process and the development of large tanks.

Good luck and welcome to ARC!!

Allow me to suggest that you place a post here asking if there are any reefers nearby who could help you move that monster into place. Once you find a few people, post a date and time when you plan to make the move, (HINT:....what kind of beer and pizza you're serving and the party is on!) Actually, you will be surprised at the number of people who will show up even if you are offering a glass of water. Great group of folk here! Don't be slow to ask any questions or for help. It's what we do! Welcome and happy reefing!

Back