bio ball replacement

smallblock

Market
Reaction score
If I have your standard wet dry two chamber sump that houses bio balls in the first chamber what can be used instead? I've heard bio balls were trash is this correct?

well from what I was told is that they capture debris like waste materials and the purpose of the bioball was to house denitrifying bacteria and they do except for the debris they also catch cause a big back up on the waste materials and as they are being broken down they release nitrates in the process as well as other substances in waste material so most will say they are bad and I also say they are bad myself plus there is more maintenance on cleaning them but someone else might have another explanation

They are fine for a fish only tank. You can use some Live Rock rubble instead.

Live rock rubble.....maybe only use the bioballs in your overflow just to help with the trickling sound....about it on a reef tank...

I have heard of them being used as fetch toys for triggers too. Can't wait to see pics of that. HHHHUMMMM (CLEARS THROAT)

Well if he still had the trigger I'd get a video.....but unfortunately he does not....but I've seen it ****it....(that word starts with a D btw).....but anyways!!!!

when i went reef i dumped all my bio balls and converted my wet/dry into a sump. I added a filter sock housing to the first chamber, dropped my skimmer in the middle chamber and the return pump and uv in the 3rd chamber

I dont understand why people bio balls so much. THEY WORK, you just have to clean them once or twice a year, or put a sponge in front of them. If you put liverock rubble in there it will collect crap the same way.

I kept bio balls in my system right after the fuge for years and they worked great, just took them out and dunked them off in water change waste water every few months.

Back