Bio-Pellets and Alk

nickh06

Market
Reaction score
Let me start off with - I am not looking for a quick answer on this and there might not be one out there.

So I had my second fish death of the year that was most likely caused by something I did or didn't do. It was a good reminder to test test test. Now that I have an apex helping me monitor the tank I haven't been testing like I should be. It was a yellow eye kole tang that appeared to have ICH. All my other fish look good except for another one of my tangs. I know that tangs can be ich magnets but I was pretty dumbfounded on what caused it since most of my levels have been good and I have been doing regular water changes and maintenance. Could have been from the power loss a few weeks ago or from natural causes, still unsure.

One thing that I am least familiar with that is new to my upgrade is bio-pellets. I have been running bio-pellets since the start of this build (transferred everything from my 90). I have seen good results with them, I started slow and am gradually adding more pellets. One thing that I did read about bio-pellets is that it can affect alkalinity and coral growth and can cause RTN?. My alk has been testing high lately, between 10-11. I have been dosing a bit of calcium to raise my levels from 410-420 but I haven't had the need to does alk yet which I thought was odd. I use RSCP salt and do 10% weekly water changes.

I also read that bio-pellets can release co2 and deplete oxygen in a tank. Not sure if this is happening or if there is a way to tell. Also not sure if this had anything to do with ICH or is completely unrelated. PH has been good between 8.2 and 8.3 every day. My bp reactor output goes straight into my skimmer.

I would like to hear experiences with using bio-pellets and the effect on alk. Can't seem to get my alk under 10-11.

Thanks!

LSU_fishFan;1023763 wrote: I use the all in one bio pellets and still dose cal and alk daily.

What brand? How do you like them and how long have you been using them? Thanks for the input

Nickh06;1023940 wrote: What brand? How do you like them and how long have you been using them? Thanks for the input

I'm using the dvh all in one bio pellets and have been using them since late December early January. Before my nitrates where around 20 ppm, but now it is around 3-5 ppm and my corals look very healthy.

Back