Biopellets: pros, cons, and my story...

ripped tide

Market
Reaction score
This thread is long over due. I get a lot of pms about biopellets, so I thought I should share some information about them and my story using them.

There will be detailed instructions of how to build a biopellet reactor out of one of the power buy reactors(instructions will be posted after I get it on June 16th)

What are biopellets?

Biopellets are made of a bio-degradable polycarbonate plastic. When used in aquariums, the biopellets are placed in a reactor with moderately high flow. Various strains of bacteria colonize on the pellet's surface feeding from the carbon source, phosphate, and nitrate. The carbon acts more like an energy source. It speeds up the reproduction of the bacteria, and in the process the bacteria consumes no3 and po4. This bacteria is EXTREMELY dangerous in ample amounts. As the biopellets tumble in the reactor, the bacteria is constantly being knocked off so that inverts can feed on it and the skimmer can remove it. People generally feed their reactor's return directly into their skimmer intake. A GOOD skimmer effectively removes almost all of the bacteria before it can reach the display tank.

Pros

By now, most of you have come to find that what works for me may not work for you. All tanks are different and filtration systems widely vary. With that being noted here are some of the benefits that are frequently claimed about biopellets.

They will reduce/control nitrate and phosphate, and most tanks with established biopellets are crystal clear.

Unlike gfo, you only open your reactor every 4-6 months. This is the main reason I switched from gfo. I hated changing gfo, it is messy and expensive. With bio pellets, you just top them off.

There are no "dusts" or residues left in your sump or in your aquarium.

Unlike gfo, it does not strip nutrients bare. This is especially helpful if you have LEDs and need as many nutrients as possible to maintain nice color in sps.

Cons

If you don't have a good skimmer, or don't slowly break your tank in, or add too many, you will nuke your tank. As I said early, the bacteria in large quantities are extremely DANGEROUS!!!!!

Biopellets provide energy to ALL types of bacteria. This can lead to tremendous cyano issues(I had a few spots a while back, but chemi clean and added flow wiped it out). Some say that it will accelerate stn or rtn. I've never heard of bacterial infections involving fish, but who knows, it could happen.

If biopellets are so dangerous, why would we put them anywhere near our aquariums????

For those that choose to use biopellets, you must be comfortable knowing that you are hula-hooping while walkin across a tight rope over the grand canyon. One wrong move, and you are toast. You must make a conscious descision: is the potential out come worth the risk? You must know that this is totally experimental.

I justified experimenting after trying various other bio-available carbon sources. I felt comfortable that if it crashed my tank, then that would be on ME! I Chose biopellets because I know that trying to achieve water chemistry that is like natural sea water is very difficult. The ocean's water is very pure and I felt that the amount of available man made filtration could not keep up with how I wanted my water chemistry and the feeding habits that my animals require. With this in mind, and being tired with gfo, I decided to take the plunge.

My biopellet experience

Equipment: sea systems reactor
Biopellets: two little fishies NPX
Water volume: ~100
Bioload: very very heavy
Feeding: very very heavy
No3: 1
Po4: .10-.04ppm

I chose to give biopellets a shot after being fed up with gfo. I was tired of the "dust" and tired of changing it out. At one point, I took my phosphate and nutrient too low and lost a lot of color and had some tips of my sps burn. I decided that gfo was not for that tank.

I had been dosing reef biofuel by brightwells. It's basically the same thing as biopellets, except liquid form and more controlled. I greatly reduced my dose after switching to gfo and still had the color loss and burnt tips. I was also tired of manually dosing the biofuel. When I took the gfo offline, my color came back and the tips recovered.

I bought a sea systems reactor and modded it out using a kitchen funnel. (instructions coming soon!) I added ~200ml(half the reccomended amount) and let it roll. I also began dosing microbacter 7. For the first 5 days I didn't notice anything, then all of a sudden, my ORP dropped like crazy. The tank got a slight haze to it. Bacteria was in bloom. My skimmer was skimming like crazy. This lasted a few days. I began to get nervous, so I did a water change. The next day, my ORP was back up and the tank was CRYSTAL clear. The po4 was .08ppm. A week later the po4 was .07. One the 4th week I added the remaining ~200ml of biopellets. The po4 dropped to .03ppm. Since then, I haven't messed with the reactor. That was a few months ago. Today my po4 is .10, and I am overdue to top off with more pellets. I currently feed a 1"x2" block of PE mysis, nutramar ova, cyclopeeze, reef chile, phyto feast and Elos stuff daily! I DARE someone to find hair algae in my tank. There's none. all corals and fish are very healthy and growing fast. I've gotten all the color back that I lost from gfo and I am glad with my switch.

I hope this was helpful. Please research biopellets further before making any descisions. I hope others can post their experiences with biopellets(good and bad) in this thread. Thanks for reefing!

Thanks for a great write up. Was thinking of switching from gfo to bio. After this post I will definitely converting.

Thanks for posting. I think I may be making the switch as well unless someone can post more cons.

I'm not liking the "dust" in my sump at all.

I tried it and had a cyano bloom like you would not believe. I used microbacter7 and other recommended by vertex. Never got it right. I went back to refugium, gfo and using some pond matrix. Nitrates almost there and phospates at .04. I followed instructions exactly. One person told me it has to do with potassium levels being low cause part of the problem. I got rid of cyano with Boyd's but had to do over 200 gallons of water changes over time. Biopellets just did not work for me. I may try again but not now.
Joe

jhutto;770417 wrote: I tried it and had a cyano bloom like you would not believe. I used microbacter7 and other recommended by vertex. Never got it right. I went back to refugium, gfo and using some pond matrix. Nitrates almost there and phospates at .04. I followed instructions exactly. One person told me it has to do with potassium levels being low cause part of the problem. I got rid of cyano with Boyd's but had to do over 200 gallons of water changes over time. Biopellets just did not work for me. I may try again but not now.
Joe

Interesting that you mention potassium. I dose potassium, amino acids, trace elements, and a color enhancer daily.

I had been dosing potassium long before biopellets to boost the blue colors in my sps.

ive been using pellets for about 2 months now and absolutely love them.i started with about a third of the recommended amount and never experienced any negative effects at all.ive never really had any nutrient problems but was tired of replacing Seagel or gfo.the bonus of bacteria feeding my corals was the big reason to try them for me.the polyp extension on my acros have never been better.i mix NPX and BRS pellets to get a more diversified bacteria count since different bacteria eat different polymers.i am completely sold on biopellets and will never put gfo in my system again.

Great writeup!

as this ia a form of carbon dosing, I tried them a couple of years ago (?), and I was not happy with them.

First, for convenience and funds, I converted a brs reactor to a bio-pellet reactor. Although it was "made for this", it didn't work well as the pellets kept clogging on the bottom (pia). If I did it again, I would use a cone shaped bottom reactor.

it never got my phosphates low enough to stop using gfo.

there is a slight chance of build up of hydrogen sulfide.

There are many reefers that use bio-pellets with great success, albeit I have had personally better experience with Vodka, GFO, and Rox Carbon.

Great write up. :) As of now, I do neither but I am sure that will change down the road as my tank matures.

I'm currently running BRS Carbon and GFO (although as of now my GFO is offline). If I choose to go with Bio-pellets, should I take the Carbon offline as well? I'm contemplating either a conversion of my current BRS reactor or purchasing an Octopus Reactor. I'm patiently waiting for Ripped Tide's mod to see I can make it work for my needs first.

Nice write up Dylan!

90galguy;770846 wrote: I'm currently running BRS Carbon and GFO (although as of now my GFO is offline). If I choose to go with Bio-pellets, should I take the Carbon offline as well? I'm contemplating either a conversion of my current BRS reactor or purchasing an Octopus Reactor. I'm patiently waiting for Ripped Tide's mod to see I can make it work for my needs first.

Carbon has no effect on bio pellets. Maintain your regular carbon maintence schedule you have in place.

90galguy;770846 wrote: I'm currently running BRS Carbon and GFO (although as of now my GFO is offline). If I choose to go with Bio-pellets, should I take the Carbon offline as well? I'm contemplating either a conversion of my current BRS reactor or purchasing an Octopus Reactor. I'm patiently waiting for Ripped Tide's mod to see I can make it work for my needs first.

If you got in on the PowerBuy, you can make the modded reactor for about $80 total. Making the mod is very easy, if you are handy with a dremel, you should be able to save some $$. Even if you didn't get the reactor from the PB, sea sells them for $100, minus %10, plus tax and cost of funnel ~$100.

DawgFace;770847 wrote: Nice write up Dylan!

Carbon has no effect on bio pellets. Maintain your regular carbon maintence schedule you have in place.

To further the discussion, please forgive me if I say something stupid here, but I'm currently running PhosGard as well as NoPox (carbon source). I haven't had any Nitrate since the initial cycle, and just recently began testing for phosphate. It seems that the carbon source is complementary to the biopellets in that the bacteria needs a food source in order to develop, then can be picked up by the protein skimmer, or go into the display as a food source. The PhosGard seems like a redundant method for reducing phosphates in that its a chemical method for removal as opposed to biological. If the chemical process fails, e.g. the PhosGard is exhausted, then biological process keeps the phosphate from getting out of hand, and vice versus.

I would be interested in someone figuring out how to properly word a poll on asking something like this:

How many doses either vodka or another carbon source?
How many uses biopellets?
How many uses an aluminum based chemical reactor, e.g. PhosGard?
How many uses a combination of the above, either
Biopellets and vodka (i.e. liquid carbon), or PhosGard and Vodka.

wcwilson;771291 wrote: To further the discussion, please forgive me if I say something stupid here, but I'm currently running PhosGard as well as NoPox (carbon source). I haven't had any Nitrate since the initial cycle, and just recently began testing for phosphate. It seems that the carbon source is complementary to the biopellets in that the bacteria needs a food source in order to develop, then can be picked up by the protein skimmer, or go into the display as a food source. The PhosGard seems like a redundant method for reducing phosphates in that its a chemical method for removal as opposed to biological. If the chemical process fails, e.g. the PhosGard is exhausted, then biological process keeps the phosphate from getting out of hand, and vice versus.

I would be interested in someone figuring out how to properly word a poll on asking something like this:

How many doses either vodka or another carbon source?
How many uses biopellets?
How many uses an aluminum based chemical reactor, e.g. PhosGard?
How many uses a combination of the above, either
Biopellets and vodka (i.e. liquid carbon), or PhosGard and Vodka.

Bio pellets would replace NoPox. You should not need to use them together. A lot of people will continue to use gfo or aluminum oxide, but many find it isnt needed after a month or so of biopellets.

Thanks for the write up. I'm considering a nano reactor for bio pellets in my biocube. Decisions, decisions.

Yes, thanks Ripped for the clarification. Do others run both GFO, and vodka, or one or the other?

When I was dosing reef biofuel(basically the same thing as NoPox) I still ran gfo. Since the pellets, I have taken it off line. I have some phosgaurd laying around the house just in case I get a spike in phosphate. I choose aluminum oxide over gfo.

The AO is not anywhere near as aggressive, so I would recommend AO for maintenance purposes, and gfo for high concentrations of po4

wcwilson;771375 wrote: Do others run both GFO, and vodka, or one or the other?

Mixed.

Seems counterproductive to me, so I only dose vodka. My thought - you need C, PO4 and NO3 (among other things) to grow bacteria. Limit PO4 with GFO and you limit the bacteria. Exact levels needed to grow is arguable, so my thought is simply that - a thought.

Others like to run both.

I haven't had any nitrate in my system since the original cycle. Its been a long time since I was in the hobby, always knowing that some nitrate was ok, but now the school of thought seems to be that you must have some nitrate in order for the bacteria to grow. So, how do I get my nitrate up to a discernible level, no water changes for a while? My tank is only about 3 months old, so it doesn't currently contain much of a load, hence 0 nitrate, and .05 phosphate levels using small amounts of no pox, and phosgard.

The no pox is eliminating nitrate in your system. You seem to have a good thing going for you. I wouldn't fix it if it ain't broke.

That's what I'm thinking. I had a long drawn out conversation with the Red Sea guy about No Pox yesterday, and it seems like a lot of effort to maintain that system. I think ultimately I may go with the biopellets, but for now everything is ok, and so I'm inclined not to break something.

Back