Bizarro and meteor shower help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats up? Give a call
Tried calling a couple of times without success. Hope you and your family are all doing well.

I’ve had the bizarro and meteor shower frags in separate areas of the display tank for several months. The bizarro just looked like it started melting away. I had recently moved it up right next to one of the other’s I’d gotten from you in that same 4 pack that is thriving but it continued to deteriorate. Also the meteor shower was on the sand bed Where it had been for some time but it started losing all of its base color and you could barely see a polyp. I had tried moving it to a bit shadier location with worsening results when
shawn talked me in to not giving up on them. I put them into my QT tank that is kinda gross really with lots of algae. The fish in there I’ve had from almost the beginning but it is in time out for being the playground bully.
Literally 2 weeks later they are both THRIVING. Gorgeous colors, great polyp extensions, new growth!

Problem is I’m afraid to put back into the DT. Same water parameters, same feeding as you gave me same lighting, as they are all linked and on the same schedule. We’ve measured distance from light to same placement distances...... I’m just not sure it’s as simple as that. Any thoughts?

No, it sounded quite personal. I have PM’d and I did phone as asked. I have no idea what is going on in anyone’s personal life/lives and put it out there in case another very knowledgeable person may have some insight. Maybe Dave is busy? Maybe he’s on vacation? Maybe he just doesn’t have time to answer? So yeah, I took it personal.

@NanCrab Its okay. We are interested and here to help.

If you’re cautious about moving them back to your DT, and you’ve already double checked everything and it looks good to go... then maybe move 1 of them at a time. Try the Meteor Shower, wait 2-3 days and see how it responds. If it’s looking terrible after a couple days, you can take another step back by moving back to QT. If it looks great, you’ll have confidence to move forwards with the Bizarro.

I am actually going to take her a frag of each of mine and see how they do in her tank. I'm curious if we get the same results. I've gotten frags before from one person, they not work, and then get the same thing from someone else and then they work.

Also - I'm really disappointed that this thread took such a turn so quickly. We're all reefers - we share this passion, and I understand passion can fuel sensitivity - but we really should be trying to be respectful and helpful at all times. We've all gotten help from others, and part of this hobby is paying forward your insight, experiences, and guidance. Let's all please try to remember this. Thanks folks! :D

are you sure it's the same water params? Sounded like one has ton of algae/dirty and other is DT and not?

George means nothing by this. Plz don't take offense Nancy. It's very unusual to create a thread and direct it to a single person. Typically in those situations you just create a private message. That's all he's saying. Nothing more and nothing less.

Now we know that since dave wasn't responding to her on the corals he sold her, she felt it was necessary to reach out in this way. So it makes sense for her to resort to that. I think if you had just asked the group though you'd get plenty of great help.

Anyways, I hope you stick around. You and your husband have a very infectious enthusiasm for the hobby that I thoroughly enjoy.

As for the corals, if a cyphastrea is struggling... There are a few things to check. First, they are sensitive to high nitrates. I lost whole colonies a year ago during my nitrate spike. The most common issue though is simply placement... They are low light corals and do best at around 50-100 par. They can be acclimated to higher par but do best in lower light. If you need to borrow a par meter, the club has some that you can borrow. Someone can help you test your water as well. I'd be happy to do so and you can leave a sample anytime with me. Best of luck.

George means nothing by this. Plz don't take offense Nancy. It's very unusual to create a thread and direct it to a single person. Typically in those situations you just create a private message. That's all he's saying. Nothing more and nothing less.

Now we know that since dave wasn't responding to her on the corals he sold her, she felt it was necessary to reach out in this way. So it makes sense for her to resort to that. I think if you had just asked the group though you'd get plenty of great help.

Anyways, I hope you stick around. You and your husband have a very infectious enthusiasm for the hobby that I thoroughly enjoy.

As for the corals, if a cyphastrea is struggling... There are a few things to check. First, they are sensitive to high nitrates. I lost whole colonies a year ago during my nitrate spike. The most common issue though is simply placement... They are low light corals and do best at around 50-100 par. They can be acclimated to higher par but do best in lower light. If you need to borrow a par meter, the club has some that you can borrow. Someone can help you test your water as well. I'd be happy to do so and you can leave a sample anytime with me. Best of luck.
I agree with everything here. My cyphestreas are acclimated to higher light (Closer to 100) so we will try these - I have several frags of each. Let’s see how they fare! I’ll also bring the par meter I have Sunday and see what your placement looks like.

Really I like Dave Ball and he is a wonderful reefer with a ton of experience whom has been exceptionally nice to me. Exceptionally nice. I had major surgery 2 weeks ago, I can barely use my arms. I had ZERO problem with Dave’s lack of, or delayed response. I have no idea what is going on in other’s lives. As for me, I’m currently sitting around trying to not watch TV because it’s garbage and just staring at my tank, pondering it. We did test parameters (The basics-pH, Alk, temp, A/N/N/P). All veery close or the same.
This thread was NEVER mean to to be a big deal, a calling out of another (@dball711) or anything else. It was simply written by someone who actually cares about the living organisms I accept responsibility for and didn’t want to make yet another mistake. This coral warfare stuff is seriously no joke!
Im sorry if I overreacted, I’m in pain and bored and a whole lot of other things. I asked @dball711 first because I got them from him and, let’s face it....HE IS THE CORAL WHISPERER with a wife and a life!
I just don’t like to get scolded or called on the carpet because for my own reasons I’m sensitive that way.
Thanks for the help, I’m really just happy they’ve survived and are even thriving.

Nicely said Nancy. Glad we are over it and u are sticking around. No worries, we hope your recovery is a smooth one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back