Black background for tank-paint or other?

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just got a 210 gallon and want the back of it black. I have never painted a tank. Anyone have paint brand suggestions and technique suggestions? Should I brush or roll, etc?

Also, any other black background options out there? I have used the black background paper on the rolls at the LFS, but was thinking a black film put on like window tinting might be good, I just don't know where to get it. The LFS black background rolls are not wide enough for this tank.

Any help is welcome.
Thanks.
Dave

walmart and HD both have $1 cans of black spray paint. You can't beat that!

Use latex and roll on. If you ever decide to remove it will pull off in sheets with out much work.

I have always used spray paint in the past until I bought a used 300 and got home and was prepared for a long night off scraping and 5 minutes later it was clean.

Skriz;199535 wrote: walmart and HD both have $1 cans of black spray paint. You can't beat that!

Spray would be good, except the tank is indoors.

Fish Scales2;199580 wrote: Use latex and roll on. If you ever decide to remove it will pull off in sheets with out much work.

I have always used spray paint in the past until I bought a used 300 and got home and was prepared for a long night off scraping and 5 minutes later it was clean.

That seems like a great idea. I'm not so concerned about brush strokes, etc. Easy on/easy off sounds good.

Yeah blk spray paint from walmart did the trick for me when I painted my tank:like:

You can spray indoors if you prep the area to prevent overspray and ventilate.

Skriz;199618 wrote: You can spray indoors if you prep the area to prevent overspray and ventilate.
Yea I know, but I have several other tanks, carpet on the floor, etc. Gonna roll it. First coat is drying now. I'm thinking three coats will do it. Still lots of light shining thru, even with a thick first coat.
Dave

Too late now I suppose, but I am a big fan of the Aquarium Films for the back of the tank. They go on like window tint and are completely removable down the road. They make them in blue and black.

Back