black dots on clown

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
I noticed my clown has about 8 black dots. I looked on wetwebmedia and the only references I found talk about age spots.

Anyone else seen this on their clowns?

I did recently introduce a yellow watchman...maybe my clown is not happy and a bit stressed.

Hmm... never heard of age spots. I don't mean to alarm you but there is something known as black ich, which manifests itself in black spots. Hopefully that's not what it is!

Do you have an anemone in the tank? I've had these appear on a pair of clown they I once had. Through research I found that these spots can appear from being stung by an anemone. Are the spots similar to the black spt behind the fin in the pictures? I should add that it could be stings from corals like frogspawns, hammers, torches, etc.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
59653=4050-100_2086res.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
59653=4050-100_2086res.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="100_2086res.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
59653=4051-100_2125.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
59653=4051-100_2125.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="100_2125.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

From what I read, tangs get black ich but clowns do not.

I'm going to leave him where he is for a few days and watch him.

No anemone in that tank. He hosts in some palys and never ventures far.

FutureInterest;59652 wrote: Hmm... never heard of age spots. I don't mean to alarm you but there is something known as black ich, which manifests itself in black spots. Hopefully that's not what it is!

<span style="color: black;">Palys are also capable of stinging your clownfish. The sting of these corals are not always lethal but can cause some irritation to the skin of the clown as it acclimated itself to the coral. If the spots appear to be flat and you fish is acting as it normally does then I don&#8217;t think that it&#8217;s much of a problem.</span>

I had black spots on my first occelaris clown I had then they just went away. When I added a second one to my tank it also got them then they went away. No idea what it is but it never seemed to harm either of my fish.

I recently had several black spots on my Naso. They turned out to be bruising from when he was introduced into the tank and moving about the LR. I gave him Zoe and vitamen C, and it cleared right up. Has your clown changed his daily activities since the goby was introduced? Maybe he brushed up against something. If he was stung by anything in your tank try the Zoe and vit C in the food and see if he clears up.

If the dots appear to just be darker pigments in the skin then that is normal. Mine has that. If the dots are raised or appear to be something attached then you have an issue that needs to be researched more.

All mine have spots....because they host in my frogspawn. Is that what yours host in? Seems like if they are in anything but the anenome, they spot.

washowi;59820 wrote: All mine have spots....because they host in my frogspawn. Is that what yours host in? Seems like if they are in anything but the anenome, they spot.
yeah that would totaly make sense in my situation as well. I would not worry about it to much

Yeah, I'm not worried about it...they are spots and not raised. The pic below is before he got spots.

This guy hosts in some palys. I didn't know they sting...but as my sig says, I'm a nub. I tried to introduce him to an anemone, but he didn't want to have anything to do with it.

IMG_3218.jpg
alt="" />

Back