black light for moonlights

roundman

Market
Reaction score
Am I crazy or did I read somewhere that black lights would work for moon lights? I just found energy saver twisted flouresent black light bulbs for halloween and wondered how these would do for moonlights.

I believe the speaker that gave the talk about coral colors and lighting said black light is bad...gives off too much UV?

Black lights give off a spectrum of light corals have no natural protection from. It's such a tiny spectrum of light that it's not benificial in anyway. It also causes any tiny particles in your water to glow, making your tank look cloudy.

LEDs are the best way to go. I used a low watt NO actinic before LEDs were really popular.

balagan;92417 wrote: I believe the speaker that gave the talk about coral colors and lighting said black light is bad...gives off too much UV?

Correct. Dana Riddle stated the wavelengths produced by blacklights would likely be damaging to the photosystems of your corals (as it is a wavelengths they have never naturally been exposed to). Short durations (like for photos) wouldnt be a problem, but prolonged exposed might cause issues.

I don't remember the speaker saying black lights were bad, and dont think they give off anymore uv than other light bulbs, but I tried it and didn't like the effect it gave. The biggest difference it made was it gave all the red coraline an unatural red hue that I found to be unattractive. I'm using a plain blue bulb right now, which actually looks kind of white light in the tank.

Dakota9;92432 wrote: I don't remember the speaker saying black lights were bad, and dont think they give off anymore uv than other light bulbs, but I tried it and didn't like the effect it gave. The biggest difference it made was it gave all the red coraline an unatural red hue that I found to be unattractive. I'm using a plain blue bulb right now, which actually looks kind of white light in the tank.

I think I might've misquoted. Riddle didnt say they make too much UV (as far as I can remember), just that they made the wrong wavelengths (which mightve been UV, for all I know). either way, he did specifically say he thought it would be a bad idea.

We should clarify this fact, as being a child in the 70's, I must have logged atleast 3 zillion hours under a black light.

Seems like all these aging hippies would be dying of melinoma from the uv of thier black lights 40 years ago, but who is to say they aren't?

Hmmmmm........

Ultra violet is just a vague catergorization of a section of wavelength spectrum. It doesnt necessarily mean harmful or otherwise. there are certain wavelengths of UV which are quite damaging to living cells, but others that are not.

I want to thank all of you that helped. I guess I just heard wrong. Thanks again and no more discussion as I don't want to be involved in anything heated. LOL

Thanks again

It takes more than this to get me mad.........

It ain't like anyone was bashing the Magnum 350 or nothing.

what have I missed? Why would anyone be mad about anything from this thread? Heated? I dont get it.

Back