Black sand source?

imay1280

Market
Reaction score
Hey folks... I am in the planning stages for the 180 that I picked up a couple of weeks ago now, and I'm trying to decide on the layout, closed loop vs. a gyre and powerheads, etc. One of the things that I am seriously considering is switching to black sand.

With that, does anyone know a good source to get around 300lbs or so of sand without paying the commercial bag pricing? ~$500 for Arag-Alive Hawaiian Black isn't going to cut it, so I'm looking for ideas, better bulk sources, etc. Your thoughts?

The problem with closed loop is you need to drill additional holes. Then use a massive pump to get any decent flow. While I hate the look of power heads...I am exploring adding a couple gyres instead. Should look much cleaner.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I was just up at atlanta aquarium and they had at least 200 lbs of black sand.

This tank already has holes drilled for the loop, I would actually need to seal them if I was going to just use power heads. I was looking at some 3k gph DC pumps, but haven't made up my mind quite yet. The wife says I can't even set this tank up until we move into a new house (!!!), so I am going to take my time and weigh the pros and cons of every decision before I actually commit. Input is always welcomed, of course

Torqued;1082959 wrote: The problem with closed loop is you need to drill additional holes. Then use a massive pump to get any decent flow. While I hate the look of power heads...I am exploring adding a couple gyres instead. Should look much cleaner.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Checkout the Black Diamond blasting sand, it's $9.00 per 50# bag at Tractor Supply. There's not a ton of info about it in reef aquariums, but enough people have used it with no bad effects, that I could find. I just setup a 35g frag tank and mixed that with some regular sand because I didn't want it jet black. You do need to rinse the snot out of it first, but so far, I like the look of it. Do some Google searches and you'll find it. I used it successfully in several freshwater, planted tanks for years with no issues at all.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back