Black Sand

cosigner

Market
Reaction score
I know this has been beat in the ground across all the reefing boards, but I wanted to get ARCs take on it.

I am getting all of the last things for my 40B tank and while I have a general idea of how I'd like my tank to look, I can't decide on the substrate. I have never been a big fan of black sand, most of the pictures of tanks I've seen don't look right in my eyes. However I have seen a few that look amazing and now I can't get this black sand out of my head.

As far as my aquascape goes, I plan on having two islands, one larger than the other, and both of them away from the glass to allow viewing from at least three sides.

I guess the question to ask is, what's your experience with, or opinion of black sand?

I've heard stuff about less light for corals and heat absorption due to the lack of reflectivity. I personally can't remember the last time anyone measured how much light is absorbed by corals due to reflecting light off of the substrate, and am not concerned with it. I'm sure it is miniscule at best.

I've never had black sand in a reef, only freshwater tanks. I had Tahitian moon sand and it was a fairly fine substrate. I did mix it in a tank with white sand and it looked real good, very natural.

I have seen people use it in reefs and it seems to make corals stand out a bit, kind of like painting the back of your tank black.

I have black sand in all my fw planted tanks and love it to the point I have been considering switching my reefs sand out but haven't for fear of a crash.
I'm putting a new tank together over the next few weeks, and have already made a decision on black sand I agree it makes coral colors pop .
Just rinse it well , iv noticed when its fresh there are a lot of small particles that are light and buoyant enough to ride the current and your return pump wont like it.

Tbub1221;929321 wrote: I have black sand in all my fw planted tanks and love it to the point I have been considering switching my reefs sand out but haven't for fear of a crash.
I'm putting a new tank together over the next few weeks, and have already made a decision on black sand I agree it makes coral colors pop .
Just rinse it well , iv noticed when its fresh there are a lot of small particles that are light and buoyant enough to ride the current and your return pump wont like it.

Good advice... I may change my mind later, but for now I think I'm gonna go with black sand... who knows...

If you are going with black sand make sure you blast the crap out of your rock before it goes in the tank or you will end up with a lot of little white pieces on your sand

I had black sand in my 80 gallon. I loved it. It made the coral colors pop. Only down side i had is it stuck to my mag float. So if u didnt pay attention u could scratch ur glass.

The other issue that I've seen with black sand is for some reason, it's lighter in weight than white sand and therefore causes problems if you are creating flow inside your tank or when you vacuum. You'll get a lot of sand in the bucket. I have mixed white and black in my 180 and black sand always ends up in the bucket during a cleaning.

I have the CaribSea Hawaiin Black sand in my 120. I absolutely love it. It is a larger sized substrate and it is NOT magnetic like some other black sands so it doesn't stick to MAG floats. It also has tiny white specs in the sand so it doesn't look out of wack if any particles from your live rock get into it. I grow a lot of zoas in my substrate and their colors literally explode off of it.

The only thing I'll say is that black sand can change what fish look good in your tank... I have a purple tang and he just doesn't pop the way they do in white sand tanks.. His purple is somewhat subdued... But a yellow tang looks really good... its all about contrast.

This is the kind of stuff that I wanted to know... the three of y'all have very good points. Thank you.

The plan for the rocks is to get two really nice pieces of dry rock or ceramic. They will need to be washed really well anyhow, but as far as it showing up on the black keys sand is something that I never would've thought of until after the fact.

Kirkwood;929338 wrote: I have the CaribSea Hawaiin Black sand in my 120. I absolutely love it. It is a larger sized substrate and it is NOT magnetic like some other black sands so it doesn't stick to MAG floats. It also has tiny white specs in the sand so it doesn't look out of wack if any particles from your live rock get into it. I grow a lot of zoas in my substrate and their colors literally explode off of it.

The only thing I'll say is that black sand can change what fish look good in your tank... I have a purple tang and he just doesn't pop the way they do in white sand tanks.. His purple is somewhat subdued... But a yellow tang looks really good... its all about contrast.

Glad you chimed in , it was your tank I was thinking of when I said it makes colors pop I really like the Hawaiian black

Kirkwood;929338 wrote: I have the CaribSea Hawaiin Black sand in my 120. I absolutely love it. It is a larger sized substrate and it is NOT magnetic like some other black sands so it doesn't stick to MAG floats. It also has tiny white specs in the sand so it doesn't look out of wack if any particles from your live rock get into it. I grow a lot of zoas in my substrate and their colors literally explode off of it.

You sir also have a good point. Never would've thought of it having a visual effect on livestock...

Edit: Also, what ever substrate I choose will be caribsea anyhow... But, that's good to know about it not being magnetic like others may be.

reefrunner is a huge fan of black sand, he just setup a tank with it and is in the process of converting his other tank right now. He might send you pics if you ask him.

I have Hawaiian black mixed with Fiji pink in my 110g and love it. makes the corals and fish colors stand out. No issues with vacuuming.

Nickh06;929361 wrote: reefrunner is a huge fan of black sand, he just setup a tank with it and is in the process of converting his other tank right now. He might send you pics if you ask him.

This is good to know , i need to talk to him about how he swapped his out without a crash or mini cycle

Nickh06;929361 wrote: reefrunner is a huge fan of black sand, he just setup a tank with it and is in the process of converting his other tank right now. He might send you pics if you ask him.

Good to know, thanks.

Tbub1221;929367 wrote: This is good to know , i need to talk to him about how he swapped his out without a crash or mini cycle

Vacuum out the old, put the new in with a 2 liter coke bottle.

Ringo®;929425 wrote: Vacuum out the old, put the new in with a 2 liter coke bottle.

Over How much time should I remove the existing ?
I don't want to crash my bio system from removing to much bacteria to fast

I would do it all at once. I can't recall anyone deciding to go bare bottom and then having a crash follow. How deep/old is it?

3" deep a year old.
I was under the impression that aerobic and anaerobic bacteria both reside in the sand bed just as it does in live rock.
I don't doubt what your saying I'm just afraid ill pull it out and the next day nitrates go through the roof . It would be my luck

Back