BLACK v.s. WHITE sand that is

waya1974

Reaction score
I have fallen in love with CaribSea Instant Aquarium Tahitian Moon Reef & Marine Substrate has anyone used this? Is it safe for my sand sifting diamond back goby? I can't find an answer on google. but I saw a few members using it what is your opinion, I want the good the bad and the ugly.

The sand should be perfectly safe for fish. As far as looks, that is up to you obviously. I happen to not like black sand for a reef tank. It can look cool in a fish only tank. To me it doesn't look "natural" in a reef setup. I also think it makes a reef tank look a little darker due to not reflecting light. I don't know if you lose any significant pH buffering due to the sand not being aragonite based. Like I said....personal opinion.

On the other hand, black sand isn't tremendously overused in reefs either, so it can add a unique factor. I have heard that it is heavier than aragonite based sand and doesn't blow around as much or easily. If you like the look of it then go for it. Some people also mix some white sand in for a salt and pepper look.

I had it in my nano a while back. I absolutely LOVE the look, it really makes the coral colors pop.

BUT its a major PINA to keep clean. I ended up making sucking off the top layer of sand and replacing it with new sand part of my monthly water change. It would get dirty again after a week or so.

I now do a mix of black with some white and its much easier to deal with.

i had that tahitian moon stuff before. It looks nice, but anything thats not black or dark in color will dirty it very quickly. Also, careful if u have a mag float. some of those sand pieces actually have magnetic properties and get stuck between the mag float and the glass, and simply washing it out doesnt work. I had to take toothpicks every now and then and flick every spec of sand out from under it.

Back