Blastomussa question

putemup

Market
Reaction score
For some reason I cant get My blastomussa to grow. I have a lot of hard and a few other soft corals in my tank. My tank's been up for many years. Everything else is growing great. What type of lighting and flow does these things like? I've had this frag for about a year or more and it's still the same size or smaller than it was when I first bought it.

i think that depends more on what type of blasto it is than other factors. blastomussa merletti (sp?) tend to grow and split at a pretty decent pace, where as blastomussa welssi (sp?) are very slow growers. i have been a fan of blasto's for years and have had several different ones and this is pretty much what i have observed with mine. i had a welsi that was only about 1.5-2 mm across. i glued it down 3ish years ago now its about a 1 inch ball with several heads.

I have merletti and welssi , welssi are the ones that grow larger and slower growing , my welssi grew 4 baby heads in 10 or 11 months .
Mine are in a mixed reef under led t5 hybrid lighting and are in the bottom 1/3 of the tank with lower flow
They get really happy under the t5

fb535a2a80a040466dccb3d34284c612.jpg
alt="" />

All of my wellsi blastos started as 1 head a little over a year ago. They've been moved to 3 different tanks with a year. Blastos are like other LPS corals in they will thrive with manual feeding. I don't feed individual corals but rather broadcast feed some mysis. I keep my blastos in around 200 to 250 par. Most my tanks have pretty decent flow, however with my LPS if it seams it's getting violent flow I will turn the flow down. And just like with any coral stability is the key. Maintain consistent calcium, mag, and alk levels without too many swings.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Brandon your blastos look great compared to mine. Prior to reading your post, I had no idea that I could manually feed them mysis shrimp. I think I'm going to give them slightly more light and begin feeding them.

man brandon yours are growing like weeds, i might have to let you "borrow" my metallic red wellsi's and grow them out for me lol. i got it from rit a little over a year ago and it was 1 head and grew to 4 in my pico but they're still pretty small in size.

but like brandon said stability is key with any and all corals.

Thanks guys I feed my tanks pretty heavily so that might contribute too

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Back