Blue/Green Chromis disappearing

el-reefo

Market
Reaction score
For some reason my blue/gree chromis are disappearing. I only have a pair of Clowns, one Scooter, one Crab Eye goby, and one tiger pistol shrimp. My parameters are fine, I don't understand but they've gone from 9 to 5 and now I am down to 2.

Has this happend to anyone?

I'd guess it's species specific aggression. I've had the same issue with damsels and chromies. I get a good number and they beat and terrorize eachother to a point where I only have like 3 or 4 left and some equillibrium is reached. The water will be fine and the other fish are o.k. because they aren't getting picked on at all. Maybe 2 is enough room for them to get along and not kill eachother off. It seems like I usually get down to two or three before it stops.

jcook54;240691 wrote: I'd guess it's species specific aggression. . Maybe 2 is enough room for them to get along and not kill eachother off. It seems like I usually get down to two or three before it stops.

+1 what size tank are they in? I had five in a 70G and they were ok for about 6 months when they were small. As they grew, I had to seperate them because they became too aggressive. Now they are all back together in my 210 and still agressive a bit but for the most part getting along.

Bob

I've had the same problem with chromis...from 10 to 4. I found 2 in the overflow box.

Chromis just do that. They kill each other off. Many people say to purchase many more than what you plan to keep for that reason.

What's the point of buying fish that are non-violent when they endup killing each other? and why in the world don't they tell you this at the LFS?

I don't know you guys... but When mine die... I'm not going to replace them I want fish for the long term.

My tank is 72 Gallons, and I have

2 true percula
1 crab eye goby
1 scooter blenny dragonet
1 Serpent star
2 emerald crabs
1 T.P. Shrimp
and lots of snails... Besides the soon to be gone chromies.

Not only that, but my Gramma Loreto also passed like 3 days after I got it at the LFS store...BTW I did not get a credit for it. Being so hardy and my water parameters right... I wish i knew how to tell the Loreto is doing before purchase so It does not happen again.

Well, it is a two way street. It is considered pretty common knowledge that Chromis do this, and besides, the fish store is trying to turn a profit, not turn away customers. Even though many fish stores that sponsor us are pretty honest and good to deal with, they are still businesses...

The best bet in all cases it to carefully plan what you want in your tank, and research it before your purchases. This way you know the risks involved.

Many fish stores also carry various books on fish, so if it is a somewhat impulse purchase, you can still grab one of the publications and take a quick glance at an animal's information.

EDIT: also note that websites that SELL fish may not be the best places to research them. I just looked at 2 different ones on Chromis, and neither mentioned the species agression which many people experience.

El-Reefo;240929 wrote: Not only that, but my Gramma Loreto also passed like 3 days after I got it at the LFS store...BTW I did not get a credit for it. Being so hardy and my water parameters right... I wish i knew how to tell the Loreto is doing before purchase so It does not happen again.

On that note, many fish stores will let you hold a fish (sometimes even without a deposit!) to ensure it is healthy and acclimating to captivity. Be sure to ask if you can do this, and have them work on getting it to eat before you take it home. This is especially beneficial if the fish was just recievid in shipment, making it even more subceptible to additional stress related illness.

That's a great idea. I did not know one could do that... if the fish dies before the two weeks, I guess, they'll have to issue in-store credit_Right?

Well, depends on the store, but my experiences with both Saltwater City and Marine Fish have been positive. Saltwater City offers a 72 hour guarentee on most fish, and will usuall hold them within reason if you want them to. Also, SWC has a little 'less corporate' feel to it like Marine Fish, so you can usually work with the owner and employee ona personal level. I'm sure some other fish stores are similar (such as Keen Reef) but I'm ony speaking from my experiences, and I have yet to purchase fish from Keen.

El-Reefo;240936 wrote: That's a great idea. I did not know one could do that... if the fish dies before the two weeks, I guess, they'll have to issue in-store credit_Right?

ask them.

These two places you mentioned are NW atl. I am in the braselton area. My nearest is fish scales and they are pretty good on quality, but I've never asked about this. I will next time I come over. Have you ever been to the aviarium?

I have really only had extensive experience with SWC and Marine Fish. Sorry, but you can check the sponsors forums for feedback from a particular store. You can also post there for feedback or answers if you want.

Back