Blue hippo

jamos5790

Supporting
Reaction score
Ok I have talked to a few pp about these fish and corals. I have been getting different answers, but most I have talk with don't have them....so for yall whom have them tell me if it worked out or not. I'm thinking of a kole, mimic, and purple in my tank.

What exactly are you asking? What size tank are we talking about here?

Yes it is a 75 gal with a 29 sump, im getting an uv sterilizer before I get any of the tangs also.

Im asking do they pick at your coral?
Do they get along with the others I mentioned?
Stuff of that sort for ppl whom have them or have had them.

So your thinking of getting a kole, mimic, hippo, and purple?

I only own a Mimic, and Hippo. Tangs should not ever pick at your corals. I have never heards of them doing that, and I have never seen it.

Tangs will get along as long as they are added properly.

I have a little different experience with a hippo. Mine tends to pick up zoas and move them. There have been several times that I have walked into the room and actually see him/her picking up the whole colony and drop them elsewhere in the tank. I've probably managed to get the only hippo that likes to rearrange zoas???

Greg

Yeah those are the ones I like. I like the mimic, kole, and purple and my wife likes the hippo.

Anyone else have any stories about them?

I have a Hippo in my 210 with a Yellow and Chevron. None of my tangs bother the corals. The hippo is the largest fish I have (by far) and is a bruiser. He eats voracioulsy but has never been a bother to any of my other fish or inverts (other than snagging all the food so no one else gets any).

FishHook;326073 wrote: I have a little different experience with a hippo. Mine tends to pick up zoas and move them. There have been several times that I have walked into the room and actually see him/her picking up the whole colony and drop them elsewhere in the tank. I've probably managed to get the only hippo that likes to rearrange zoas???

Greg

Thats funny I've seen my hippo doing the same thing with small pieces of coral that has died and I threw into a small crevis. Thats funny... If I were to add these fish it woule be the Kole,Mimic,purple...... I might consider picking them on there size too.

Jamos5790;325926 wrote: Ok I have talked to a few pp about these fish and corals. I have been getting different answers, but most I have talk with don't have them....so for yall whom have them tell me if it worked out or not. I'm thinking of a kole, mimic, and purple in my tank.

I have had 2 hippo tangs. I have read that they will pick (only Hippo Tangs). Mine have never picked though. I have a PBT, Blonde and a Hippo now in my 90 and no issues. I have just started adding coral. I think you will be fine. Good luck and the UV is a great idea. Pick fat tangs and they will live long.

Happy reefing.

Oh yea and if you ever need any tang advice LMK. I have been through it all in the last 4 months :eek:. We are doing good now though :yes:!!

bobz;326098 wrote: i have a hippo in my 210 with a yellow and chevron. None of my tangs bother the corals. The hippo is the largest fish i have (by far) and is a bruiser. He eats voracioulsy but has never been a bother to any of my other fish or inverts (other than snagging all the food so no one else gets any).

+1

4 tangs sounds like alot of tangs for a 75g.
mimic=8" at biggest minimum tank size= 70g
kole=7" at biggest minimum size=70g
hippo= 1' at biggest minimum size=70g
purple= 10" at biggest minimum size= 100g
Are you planning to put all of these in there? Also the purple tang, because it is zebramosa can be agressive twords other tangs. Some are very docile while others are very agressive, it's hit and miss. IN a 75g I would only do 1, 2 tangs at the most.

Get them all as juvi's, and add the purple tang last. The purples are supposed to be aggressive, but I have never had one.

When they start getting large just trade them in for new ones, I am sure most stores will take a large healthy proven aquarium fish for a smaller one they just got in. But we have nothing for good LFS's here.....

Well twist what would be some other large fish that would be nice.

4 tangs sounds like alot of tangs for a 75g.
Are you planning to put all of these in there? Also the purple tang, because it is zebramosa can be agressive twords other tangs. Some are very docile while others are very agressive, it's hit and miss. IN a 75g I would only do 1, 2 tangs at the most.

Also everyone thanks for the advice.

If there is anything else yall can think of let me know.

twistoflime;326122 wrote: 4 tangs sounds like alot of tangs for a 75g.

I missed that! I agree thats a squeeze in a 75. I have 3 in my 90 and they can get nippy at each other at times. I have never owned a purple tang either but as rostato said I would add him last and if your going to go with 3 make them all small.

I am pushing it in my 90
326134=16291-DSCF0033.jpg
>
326134=16291-DSCF0033.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSCF0033.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Ok im gonna shut this thread down, if anyone has anymore info or help with my decisions please go to
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27876">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27876</a>

I hate having more than 1 thread going on.

Back