Blue or Black

eclass

Reaction score
Which do you guys think make colors look best? Blue or Black Background.

i did a poll like this
showthread.php

I'm a fan of the black....and I guess sides too because thats how my tank is, lol.

I think black makes colors 'pop' more, but blue makes an overall brighter impact--until they get covered up with coraline...then they both look pretty much the same!

Get more light reflection from a blue background and in theory more PAR. Not sure how the numbers actually translate though.

I think my next tank will be a 50% grey. I know in graphic work, that is what a lot of people use to make colors pop. maybe it'll translate over to aquatic.

I've heard of people using grey before. The ones that do tend to really swear by it. I'll probably try that one out next time.

I use the film they make for tanks so I can switch it. If I did it again, I would probably install one of those rock walls you can buy. I think those look excellent. If I had more courage, I would try that funky foam stuff.

Cameron;137421 wrote: I use the film they make for tanks so I can switch it. If I did it again, I would probably install one of those rock walls you can buy. I think those look excellent. If I had more courage, I would try that funky foam stuff.

<span style="color: black;">Please elaborate on the rock wall. Link?</span>

<span style="color: black;">BTW, I tried the foam on my 46 and it's was PITA. I cut a piece of eggcrate to match the back of my tank. Then I covered it with foam. The tank was already cycling and I tried “slipping” it in. Duh, it floats… I would recommend, if you decide to go about that route, to find a way to anchor the aggcrate. Either that or try to combine rocks and foam to keep it submerged.</span>

Nice but not cheap. I figure to cover the back of a 72” long tank would be about $250.

Black Pond Foam! 12 bucks a can
Seriously, 2 guys on RC did it and it looks awesome. Grow whatever you want up the back. GSP or zoo's all the way up, some sps frags poking out or whatever.

Back