Blue Regal/Hippo Experience

sj miller guy

Market
Reaction score
This fish has been on my list as one I have been wanting for a long time. I've finally got my 90 gallon situated to the point that I want it.

I've heard good and I've heard bad. I've seen them covered in ich at the store and I've also seen beautiful specimens at fish stores that looked like they were breeding red slime algae.

So....what are your experiences with this fish? I'm thinking of actually ordering one from Dr. Foster and Smith.

This variety actually:
prod_display.cfm

they are a good fish--IMO-a little aggressive towards other tangs; I had one for a long time-but a dumba$$ mistake on my behalf killed it about a couple months ago. a word of advice-feed them lots of algae sheets (Nori), and a high vegetable diet. and soak their food in selcon a few times a week. That helps out tremendously. It will also help fight off ich, and MHLLE. Great fish to watch and beautiful. good luck and keep us posted

mine was pretty aggressive w/ other tangs-had with yellow tang an d sailfin-nipped at both's fins

We lost one young one, but the second go round got a great specimen. A little young, but has survived and thrived for over a year now. She and the yellow tang broke out in ich when I added another fish, but have already fought it off. Other than that, haven't had ich since they were each introduced long ago. I love ours and haven't had tang problems, but she's significantly smaller than the yellow tang.

Def aren't many good marine stores in your area, huh? I haven't found any in Savannah that I'm crazy about, but there is one worth checking out if you're down that way. If you're interested in the drive, let me know and I'll get the name for you.

fish1344;260100 wrote: Def aren't many good marine stores in your area, huh? I haven't found any in Savannah that I'm crazy about, but there is one worth checking out if you're down that way. If you're interested in the drive, let me know and I'll get the name for you.

I like Exotic Underworld in Savannah but I'm not crazy about some of the fish they get in. I prefer Star Aquatics in Augusta because they are hands down one of, if not the best marine store I have ever been to.

I currently have 2 tangs. One is a yellow Hawaiian and the other is a powder brown. When I got my powder brown my yellow harrassed him for about a day and then everything was good. The only real interaction I'm worried about is the regal and the powder brown since they are almost the same shape.

It will be hard to say how it will do. Usually the hippo tangs are among the most docile of tangs, so considering you have 2 fairly agressive tangs they may harass it a lot. Both the powders and yts can be very mean. Def. get one that is as big or bigger than your other tangs. Unfortunatly, the Hippo usually should be added first.

But, you never know for sure. Just exercise caution.

Derek_S;260135 wrote: It will be hard to say how it will do. Usually the hippo tangs are among the most docile of tangs, so considering you have 2 fairly agressive tangs they may harass it a lot. Both the powders and yts can be very mean. Def. get one that is as big or bigger than your other tangs. Unfortunatly, the Hippo usually should be added first.

But, you never know for sure. Just exercise caution.

Honestly, I know that's the truth. I think I need to listen to myself and what I've read and not buy the fish. A little responsible reef keeping goes a long way.

Here's the tang police: I think 3 tangs are too much for a 90gal. I have a 120 and think it is still too small over time for 3 tangs as well. But if you plan on getting a hippo, my experience is that they are very docile compared to other tangs IMO. For sure, get a bigger one that is larger than your other tangs. And get a min 4" in size. Their mortality rates are higher when you get the teeny ones up to 3". It can certainly be done but much harder. Also, feed them that nori every other day.

I feed Nori daily now with frozen at night.

I do think I'm going to stay away from it right now. It's just hard for me to find other fish that I really enjoy that aren't tangs.

Fish stock right now: Yellow Hawaiian, Powder Brown, Flame Angel, Canary Bleny, Maroon Clown, and Pajama Cardinal.

Anyone have any other fish that are cool that are reef safe?

Ive had 5 so far, all of them I got small and grew to med-large size and swapped them out for small ones again. All of mine have been great fish, never aggressive to any other fish. My last 3 have actually been very mild tempered. And yes they live with other tangs, last two were with a purple and sailfin. This one is now with a purple, sailfin, yellow and clown tang.

They will get ich, usually from stress or changes to the tank but ive only had one bad outbreak and that was when I swapped all the tangs but the blue for smaller ones and added the yellow. Other then that just a few spots and no big deals.

Back