Blue spotted Puffer

jmike50

Market
Reaction score
I have been researching this fish for a future purchase. I see that feeding this fish is no problem. But the question is about the teeth. I know they say to put food on a LR with a dimple in it to help with the problem of the teeth. If you use frozen food how do you keep it from floating off? They say also to feed him mussels with the shell to help. Now is that mussel from the local market or do I have to order them special from one of our sponsors? My wife is the one that has fell in love with this puffer, but I want to get the kinks worked out first. Thanks Mike:fish:

don't plan on keeping him with corals.
he will also eat most hitchhikers and stuff out of your rocks. he will actually break the LR with his beak to get the snack out. if you want to keep the food from floating around turn the pump off. his beak will not grow as rapidly as you think though. give him an oyster or something with a hard shell once a month and he will trim down

I wouldn't keep it in a reef. It will eat snails, hermits, shrimp etc.

You can buy frozen 'clams on the half-shell' at the LFS or uncooked shellfish at the supermarket but make sure it's well washed as the preservatives used for human consumption shellfish are usually high in phosphate.

Jenn

Thanks guys....My 40 gal dt is FOWLR. I knew he loved corals.

Jenn...I am going to check around about who has the frozen clams on half shell. I don't want to use anything from the market. I myself try not to eat too much seafood because of the phosphate problems.

Back