Blue Throat trigger Question / Help....

oz

Market
Reaction score
Long story short....

We have what we thought was a female blue throat trigger in the 155. This trigger had no blue in the jaw and had red in the fins. About 4".

I bought a smaller male blue throat trigger <3", blue in the jaw and yellow in the fins.

I put the little male in the tank he pretty much just hid in the tank for a while and the female was definitely marking her territory swimming all over when she never did before.

A week later I found the little male trigger dead but with no bite marks at all. He was intimidated by the other fish and stopped eating. I couldn't get to him behind all the rocks.

Now the wierd part - the next day we noticed that the female trigger had yellow tipped fins and starting to get more blue in the jaw! Do they start out looking the same and then the males develop later? Did it take seeing another male for our juvenile to mature over night?

ChrisOzment;217846 wrote: Long story short....

We have what we thought was a female blue throat trigger in the 155. This trigger had no blue in the jaw and had red in the fins. About 4".

I bought a smaller male blue throat trigger <3", blue in the jaw and yellow in the fins.

I put the little male in the tank he pretty much just hid in the tank for a while and the female was definitely marking her territory swimming all over when she never did before.

A week later I found the little male trigger dead but with no bite marks at all. He was intimidated by the other fish and stopped eating. I couldn't get to him behind all the rocks.

Now the wierd part - the next day we noticed that the female trigger had yellow tipped fins and starting to get more blue in the jaw! Do they start out looking the same and then the males develop later? Did it take seeing another male for our juvenile to mature over night?

I am guessing your "female" was a male in the waiting, just not showing colors. Many dimorphic fish will "disguiise" the flambouyant coloration of males when no females or competition are present.

Chris, where did you get your blue throats? They are on my wishlist.

So now I have 2 male triggerfish. I bought another small male trigger to potentially try again but he's in a separate tank for now. Guess I have a small male trigger for sale or trade for a small female + frag/$.

Thanks J, I didn't do any research on dimorphism in triggers.

Do you know if it is a Hawaiian? I have some fish to trade that I posted earlier.

How can you tell? The little male trigger has very bright yellow fins and slightly blue jaw already. Eats like a champ - mysis, pellets, and silversides.

Chris if you decide to get rid of that small male in the QT let me know. I would take it off your hands. Been wanting one for a while.

Thanks.

Nick

Hey Nick, I forgot you mentioned that at the house the other day. Looks like I will be selling the new male you saw in the little tank.

Here is a picture of the trigger a couple months ago and then today. bad picture I know but look at the difference....

I still have the other male if someone wants to buy him.

Back