Blue Zoa Placement?

coolsurf

Reaction score
Typically, I have done very well with my corals with the exception of one. Back several weeks ago I purchased a frag of Blue Steel Zoas in which I acclimated and introduced to the tank. I run T-5's and the placement was on the bottom third of the tank. The first day they were very hesitant to open. The next, one started to implode so I thought it was still too much light. I lowered the zoa and none opened. I raised the next day to a higher light and they started dying eventually all going to zoa heaven. I now have an order placed for some bright blue zoas due in sometime next week. I want to get it right so anyone who can suggest placement for these guys I would appreciate. It seems the blues are the only ones that I can't figure out.

It seems that they are real hit or miss based on what people are telling me. These are not Tubs so this should be a lot of fun. It seems the Caribbeans are easier to care for but less colorful but the Pacific (the ones i'm getting) are the most colorful but also the hardest to care for. They compare them to the pinks but I havn't had trouble with the pinks except they grow slow. I guess I will try bottom partially in a cave somehow. Thanks. :shades:

I have Blue Steels running under a 400watt 12k low flow and doing well. Not doing so well under 150watt though?

Blue one's are hard I finally found some that hold their color and said I will not buy anymore because for me it's 50/50 wether they will turn gray or stay blue. I have read less light for regular blue zoas not sure if thats true.

The Tubbs are a nice blue but are tiny little polyps. I bought a frag of blue zoas from crazy rick's and they are holding their blue but they look similar to Caribbean one so who knows.

bluezoa.jpg
alt="" />

The zoas you are talking about seem to have a bad record in captivity so far. I have some but they are still at Jin house because I have to pick them up.

look here
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1628987">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1628987</a>

Joe

Back