Blues out on black box led

jrwhite07

Market
Reaction score
My blues went out on a 55 light led eBay black box. I've taken it apart and either power side will fire the whites so I'm guessing it's in the leds themselves. Is there anything that can be done to fix these?

Yeah, find the burnt out LED and replace it. ;-)

I used a wire to "jump" the LED connections, just start on one end of the circuit and test each LED. I did make the mistake of looking at the board while I did this a got blinded for a couple of minutes when I found the burnt out one. The are a couple of places on-line, I think I got my replacements from ReefBreeders it's been a while and I don't quite remember.

So it wouldn't necessarily be the first led as in a Christmas light? One going out causes all to not work?

Oh wowsa lol. Thanks for the tip. Shoulda listened about the blinding lights though. I'm guessing it's the second blue since the third cut the rest on.

It can be any LED in the series. All you do is take a short wire, strip both ends and solder it across the burnt out LED and you are back in business. If you're really wanting a job, remove the old LED and solder a new one in.

Jrwhite07;1007018 wrote: Oh wowsa lol. Thanks for the tip. Shoulda listened about the blinding lights though. I'm guessing it's the second blue since the third cut the rest on.
If jumping the third one fixed it, then it sounds like the third LED is bad.

Hmm I just ordered a couple blues from reef breeders. Is it a hard job replacing them?

Jrwhite07;1007027 wrote: Hmm I just ordered a couple blues from reef breeders. Is it a hard job replacing them?

it is very easy.. I have replaced many LEDs on the black boxes.. Just make sure you use the thermal paste when you put on your new LED... If you use black box LEDs, then this is a skill you must learn, because you'll have more burn outs for sure... So if you are buying a solder make sure you get something decent...

As a side, maked sure you do not simply jump to many LEDs without replacement. The drivers that I have used require a minimum load or the driver will burn up. Found that out the hard way. Snap, Crackle, Pop.

wildernet;1007069 wrote: As a side, maked sure you do not simply jump to many LEDs without replacement. The drivers that I have used require a minimum load or the driver will burn up. Found that out the hard way. Snap, Crackle, Pop.

That is because at a constant voltage, amperage is inversely proportional to resistance. The less resistance the higher the amperage. Jumping around a LED Chip removes that resistance from the series circuit increasing the amperage. The driver can only handle a certain amperage before it fails.

rdnelson99;1007078 wrote: That is because at a constant voltage, amperage is inversely proportional to resistance. The less resistance the higher the amperage. Jumping around a LED Chip removes that resistance from the series circuit increasing the amperage. The driver can only handle a certain amperage before it fails.

Well...yes.... Ohm's law I believe. Nice one to pull out.

wildernet;1007080 wrote: Well...yes.... Ohm's law I believe. Nice one to pull out.

Absolutely. Remind me to show you the symbol for an ohmmeter. :)

Back