Bluespot Jawfish missing

ecoreefguy

Supporting
Reaction score
So a couple a days I bought a bluespot jawfish for my desktop tank. I was acclimating another fish with him for my reefer. He jumped into the tank when I put him in the acclimation box. I haven’t seen him since. A little worried

So a couple a days I bought a bluespot jawfish for my desktop tank. I was acclimating another fish with him for my reefer. He jumped into the tank when I put him in the acclimation box. I haven’t seen him since. A little worried
Dont those hide most of the time? and make burrows? @ActiveAngel should know more about them.

Yeah, they will hide. Plus he is new, which is more reason to hide. Many gobies, jawfish, dartfish, tilefish, and wrasses can often disappear for days or weeks.

If you’re concerned, check your overflow, check the floor around the tank, check your sump... if he is nowhere else, then you know he is in your tank.

Now is he alive? Thats more complicated to answer. Assuming he wasn’t sick or with a parasite, and assuming your livestock won’t kill/eat him, you can ask yourself how long has it been. The longest I’ve seen a fish go without eating and still survive is 6 weeks, but 3-4 weeks is normal.

Haha... my current oldest fish is a Pink Spot goby. He has disappeared for over 4 weeks before, and turned out fine. And last week he disappeared (after barely eating anything for the previous 2-3 weeks).

But then yesterday, he popped his head out of a hole in the sand. So I gave him 2 krill chunks.

Long story short; it’s ok to be worried. But many times, everything is fine with these fish.

Have you checked the floor around the tank? That’s usually where missing jawfish are found.

I’m hoping he still alive. Don’t care if I see him often or not, as long as it’s alive Im happy. There’s a lid on it. I’ve checked the over flow. Might try again later.

move check around and under tank, I haven’t seen a body.

I’m hoping he still alive. Don’t care if I see him often or not, as long as it’s alive Im happy. There’s a lid on it. I’ve checked the over flow. Might try again later.

move check around and under tank, I haven’t seen a body.

All good news. He must still be in the main tank.

Back