Bonding Acrylic

mphammer

Market
Reaction score
I know Ill probably get a few :bash: and :bash2: for this one but Im just curious... would this stuff work to bond acrylic. More specifically, the bonding of an acrylic elbow to the body of a skimmer, as pictured below.
Is there much pressure here? For those of you who know about the skimmer, the company is sending a new body. Just trying to fix the broken one.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
810866=40721-IMAG0287.jpg
>
810866=40721-IMAG0287.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0287.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
810866=40722-IMG_0377.jpg
>
810866=40722-IMG_0377.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0377.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

No it usually doesn't hold. I have some weldon 3 that would probably fix it right up for you.

Return it. Surely they will send you one and you'll have it by Saturday.

PFCDeitz;810868 wrote: Dude id return it no joke

FF337;810877 wrote: Return it. Surely they will send you one and you'll have it by Saturday.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
mphammer;810866 wrote: For those of you who know about the skimmer, the company is sending a new body. Just trying to fix the broken one.

grouper therapy;810869 wrote: No it usually doesn't hold. I have some weldon 3 that would probably fix it right up for you.

If I were closer to you I would probably have taken you up on that. Thanks

no with acrylic you have to solvent weld it and the joints have to be clean cut and smooth for it to work i also think that the pvc might cause problems during bonding but like grouper therapy said weldon would be what you would need. but like kris and ff337 said id return it cause its not worth the hassel of trying to fix it specially with the risk that it may not hold and you could have a broken skimmer in the near future

Since you bought it new, and I assume paid a price for new, would you want to take the chance that it would fail while you are not home? Could cost thousands in water damage. I know you don't want to wait on the replacement but I believe in the long run you will be much better off.

if you glue it or alter it in any way and it fails later you will not be able to return it as you messed it up, bottom line.

you can either buy a new one and then return this one for credit or return it and wait for them to send you another one. just think, the time that has been spent on decideing what to do you should have returned it already.

this is why sometimes spending just a bit more and buy local if you have a problem you can take it back to place of purchase. a 50.00 savings is not worth the pain if it's broken and needs to be returned. I have unpacked 2 PS from BRS and they have been over packed. the PS bx in another box with lots of foam peanuts.

edit... if you are trying to fix this one to keep and not return it then try and use some weldon 16.

If you decide to keep this skimmer, sand the edges clean and smooth followed by cleaning this skimmer with some kind of acrylic or pvc cleaner. Use a solvent like weldon 16 and the skimmer will be as strong as new. A lot of manufacturers use weld-on 16 or some other similar solvent to bond the skimmers parts. I've done this on many different projects without any issues. Good luck.

Assuming they don't want this one back, the answe is NO, super glue won't work right. Most of the time it WILL bond acrylic, but it causes massive hazing/crazing and weakens the acrylic overall.

You need WeldOn to fix this if you want to.

Just do me a special moderator favor. If you do fix this, make sure you're CRYSTAL clear about that if you decide to pawn it off in the classifieds. TIA.

JeF4y;810953 wrote:
...Just do me a special moderator favor. If you do fix this, make sure you're CRYSTAL clear about that if you decide to pawn it off in the classifieds. TIA.

LOL Absolutely. Although a couple have already laid claims to the old body so looks like a classified won't even be necessary.

And again, I'm NOT DEBATING on weather or not to return this. Coral Vue has already shipped a new body. Just trying salvage the old body as they did not request for me to send it back.

If that is the case, use weldon 16 and sandwich the piece to the body using a wall and a block or a table clamp. Gentle pressure is all thats needed. Let it dry and it will be strong as new.

But if not. Make them replace it. I have a friend that got a piece of equipment once. Its leaking. Rather that go through the hassle of getting it replaced. He tried to fix it several times. It still leaks.

USE WELDON 16. It will be better than new. No question.

I bet someone has a little you can have.

Heavy duty pvc cement will work alright if you can't get Weldon.

It's a bit of a drive but I've got a tube of weldon 16. You are welcome to use some to make the repair.

Back