borneman on coral feeding at macna

etoh_is_good

Market
Reaction score
anybody at the talk? anyways, in summary, corals both sps and lps get a majority of their energy from the photosynthesis, but often need/require "food" for additional growth and calcification. the use of brine shrimp significantly increased growth and calcification. there are off course other potential sources of "food", such as reef snow, but these have not been teste as of yet.

i'm planning on feeding cyclopeez and baby brine at night in the dark and turning off the skimmer for awhile. has anyone tried coral frenzy or any other small partile foods. from the trade show, there seems to be some other options worth investigating.

I have used baby brine a few times but not enough to comment. I also use roti feast once a week. I feel if you can do it and not adversely affect water quality why not do it.

Joe

I know my corals "seem" to perk up after some oyster eggs!

I just finished Borneman's book on corals, and highly recommend it! I learned so much.

I think supplemental feedings, especially with certain species, are important. I use phyto-feast, and my duncan gets mysis (and loves it!).

I feed newly hatched brine shrimp (left overs after I feed my baby Bangaiis) and mix it with Reef Chilli at night about an hour after my lights cycle off. My night cycle turns my in tnak pumps off but the skimmer runs 24X7 as does the sump return. I've seen pretty good growth. I usually feed the corals about twice a week.

Back