bout to move

pullins125

Market
Reaction score
when i move i need to know the best to move the tank and the water for the tank. it is 105 gallons. what a hard job

sorry was busy at the time. i am bout to move from my parents house to my own house. i am taking my tanks with me but not sure best way to do it. the tank is 105 gallons and i would prefer to save the water bc it is already cycled. what would be the best way to move the tank. i know it will be a huge job consideering the size and number of tanks.

All you can really do is get LOTS of containers and make it fast for temp reasons. The LR will need to be transported wet, of course, and if the trip is somewhat long you'll have to make sure it stays at an acceptable temperature. When I swapped tanks, others advised me to only keep a little of my sand and use the rest new. I'm glad I did; it made things a lot easier. I'd absolutely do it that way if there was a move involved.
Also, no matter what you do there is the possibility you'll have a mini-cycle. Do you have a lot of livestock?

You can get a couple 45 gallon totes for around $15 a piece. Make sure you get somethng with a top on it. Rubbermaid will have some that will not collaspe from the pressure. I would buy 2 of these, fill them with you tank water and top off the rest. You probably don't have more than 90 gallons of water in the tank anyway, unless you have a fish only tank.

The biggest problem you will face is getting the tank water into the containers. The containers will be impossible to move once filled, so you'll have to find a way to get the water from the tank to the containers (I would assume that they would be on the truck or trunk).

I always use a powerhead with a hose on it for moving large amounts of water. Good luck.

Using a hose as a syphon works well. The most important thing (IMO) is keeping your livestock warm and having plenty of oxygen along with keeping your LR wet. The water in the rubbermaids can cool down but can be brought back up with heaters. You may want to get a couple high wattage ones just to reheat the water when you get to the new location. As already mentioned, be prepared for a mini cycle. Not to say it will happen but it may.

Buddies with brute cans and empty 5gal salt buckets and the promise of grilled burgers and a beer or 5 afterwards always works

ok. that was all good ideas. i wasthinking stuff like that which will still be diffict in some ways buit has to be done. hopefully all will work well. and i wasnt thinking bout water temps so glad it was brought up. the place is only like 20 mminutes away but i moving in mid july sun will be hot so have to work that out some way. thanks for all the great tips

Back