brain coral garden and ric. waterfall

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
So my favorite corals are ricordias, mushrooms, zoas and palys, and brain corals and I'd like to do somthing cool with each of them. For the zoas and palys I'm covering a large (some were inbetween 10-20 pounds) elk horn rock with almost all polyps. For ricordeas and mushrooms I'm going to do a "water fall down a shaded area of the tank, but this part is mostly vertical. How do I get the mushrooms and ricordias to stay on the rock? For the brain corals I was thinking I could do a brain coral garden. I only like the lobophyllia and welsophyllia brains and I already have one lobophyllia (pics to fallow this one has very unusual coloring. My question is could I really have a "garden" of brains or would they have to be spaced so far apart that it wouldn't really be a garden?
Thanks, Diane

I think you can do a "brain" garden. I've got 3 sitting side by side. I think it would look pretty neat and have thought about that as well.

Getting shroom or ric's yo stick on a rock will be tough. You can try super glue but I've only been marginally successful. Using fishing line to tie them to the rock will sometimes work as well. The problem is if they don't like the spot they'll just release themselves anyway.

I plan on only getting lobophyllia and welsophyllia brain corals. The ricordeas are going on the other half of the tank, not any were near brain corals or other lps. How long are the sweepers of the two species of brain corals?

I based my comments upon what you said in your first post about what kind of brains your planning on keeping. I beleive you should be fine with both types. Post some pics when you have your garden "planted".

BTW where are you buying the welsos at?

dough;365391 wrote: I based my comments upon what you said in your first post about what kind of brains your planning on keeping. I beleive you should be fine with both types. Post some pics when you have your garden "planted".

BTW where are you buying the welsos at?
I only have one lobo so far, and I really like it. I'm buying the lobos and welsos at Marine fish, they have some nice ones in right now, but of course I bought the best one they had yesterday :D. This was the only brain that had a little bit of algea but I loved the colors so I'm just gonna keep feeding it and hopfully it will go away.
Here is a pic of my lobo It's more expanded now, this is when I first put it in the tank.
023.jpg

dawgdude;365417 wrote: If you stick to just those and space them 2-3 inches apart you should be ok. However dont be surprised if you find out by trial and error that one has longer tentacles than you think.
I'll probobly start 5" apart and if nothing happens then I'll move them closer together and I'll keep slowly moving them togther until they are at 3" apart. Thanks for the info, Diane

Back