Brass Fitting

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
If this is posted in the wrong place I apologize but it seems appropriate. I have a poly water tank that I'm going to use for RODI storage. I'm going to keep RODI water on hand for top off and mixing saltwater when I need to. I would like to put a hose bib on it but the only fitting I can find to make it work is brass. Is that going to be a problem? Obviously the tank itself is new and only one small piece is brass but I don't want to cause any issues for corals (any type) down the line because of one fitting. If it were salwater I know brass would be a problem but will this brass fitting add anything harmful to my otherwise pristine RODI water? Thanks for any advice.

If I remember correctly lead,copper,zinc can/do leach from brass fittings in freshwater.

I was kinda thinking something like that. I can make it work with all plastic fittings but it just won't be as neat or user friendly.

When I was setting up my water station, I found that Ace Hardware had more non-metal fittings than HD. If you haven't looked there, I'd recommend it.

I actually found a plastic hose bib at Intown Ace that has 1/2" FPT inside but I can't... wait a minute, I think I can make it work. Thanks for the replies but I think I've figured something out. It may not be pretty but I think it'll work.

Back