Brass inline w/RO?

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
I've got my RO plumbed up my wall, into a electrical type box behind the wall.

I used JG fittings and a brass fitting to make a bulkhead type fitting on the wall plate, so I can just plug a line into the wall plate and get water.

Is the brass going to effect the R/O any? I'd like to be able to disconnect the water line at the wall if I want to, but I can't find any JG fittings that have a compression nut type fitting.

maybe some others can chime in--but I wouldn't have the brass fitting inline--you could replace it with PVC pretty easily

Brass fittings before the RODI is not a problem.

Most tap water is exposed to brass, copper, and other metals before it gets to your house.

yeah-RJ is prob. right--I didn't think about it being before the RODI; yeah-almost all houses use copper pipe at someplace or another-most newer ones have PVC running to house, but still have some copper-

I'm not talking about before the RO machine, I know most plumbing used to be copper/brass etc.

TAftonomos;161928 wrote: I've got my RO plumbed up my wall, into a electrical type box behind the wall.

I used JG fittings and a brass fitting to make a bulkhead type fitting on the wall plate, so I can just plug a line into the wall plate and get water.

My RO water is plumbed to my tank, through the wall. It comes out of the wall through an electrical box w/wall plate. I made up a fitting that screwed into the wall plate so the RO line would have a disconnect on either side of the wall plate.

I'll post pics in a minute, I just wasn't sure. Since RO water is supposed to be pure, I wouldn't think it was a problem, but it was just something I was wondering as I'm setting up another "wall port" of RO.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. I ended up replacing it today just in case. There is nothing in the tank right now save for a few snails/hermits and a tree frag, nothing looks like it's been hurt etc. I was filling the RO this way for maybe a month or 2.

DSC_0138.jpg
alt="" />

DSC_0139.jpg
alt="" />

<span style="color: black;"> I would just get a PVC threaded 90 instead. I think Handy City Hardware has them in 1/2", maybe even Lowe&#8217;s, CPVC or Shc 80.</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">I don&#8217;t think the small amount of brass would posse a problem, BUT I would rather play it safe. I used brass fittings once but I coated it in enamel paint first. I think if you really want to find out how bad it would leach </span>
copper, would be to seal the fitting in ro water for a month and test the water for copper.

I agree! Use a PVC John Guest fitting or something like it.

You may never ever see a problem but why take the chance that in a year as this thing corrodes or patinas it starts leaching something into your water.

I'd be suprised if there is any copper in that piece of brass nowadays, especially with how expensive copper has gotten (I just bought 60' of "L" grade 3/4" copper tube to plumb my air compressor in the garage - $120 OUCH)

Anyways, it's gone now :)

I didn't know they made a bulkhead fitting or I'd have gone with that !:) I expect my lowes to carry everything under the sun...doh!

Back